The Student Room Group

What is the best way to revise for German GCSE?

I am in year 9 going to year 10, so I am doing the new grade 9-1 gcse exams. My school wanted us to choose our GCSE choices early, so we chose in year 8, so I have started the course already. I use duolingo and I got a grade 5 in my end of year German exam, but I am not too satisfied. At he beginning of the year I was really enthusiastic about GCSE German (mainly because I was the best in my class), but towards the end of the year I started getting a bit lazy and not caring as much. I DON'T LIKE NOT BEING THE TOP OF THE CLASS. I use Duolingo daily and sometimes flashcards, but I want to know if there is anything more I can do to get those grade 7s, 8s and 9s (B/A, A/A*, A**) in my actual exam. I won't settle for anything less.
Are there any tips or revision techniques I could do to get those grades?
It's been 3 years since I completed GCSE German on the old specifications. However my advice would be to attempt past papers and checking the mark scheme's in order to gain an understanding of the questions and answers. I'd also advise to learn to recite the most common German vocabulary as this will come useful come year 11. Practising writing in German will also be good, while using some interactive foreign language websites to learn in the form of videos/games etc. (at this early stage).
Reply 2
Also look on German news websites and listen to the audio from them or watch German TV/films... films are usually the best way to learning a language even if you don't understand some of it
Get a German girlfriend.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by s4b3rt00th
Get a German girlfriend.

Spoiler

I'm a girl why would I get a girlfriend
Original post by Reviser101
I'm a girl why would I get a girlfriend

My bad - I didn't know that you weren't a lesbian.

A boyfriend...
Reply 6
Deutsch ist wirklich hart. Ich denke, dass es ist gut zu lerne viele worten auf Deutsch, weil es ziemlich hilfsbereit ist.

On another note practice vocabulary and apply it to writing, it helps.
Reply 7
Trust me, learning the grammar (I know it's a pain) is really worth it, the language makes a lot more sense once you have it drummed into your head and the speaking gets ALOT easier!

Other than that I would recommend learning the little words like ohne (without) because they can change the meaning of the entire sentence and really screw you over in the reading and any words that come up a lot that you don't know the meaning of, I managed to get through the entire GCSE without knowing what unser meant...

But just keep in mind that languages are a skill that improve with time and you still have 2 years to improve, you can't expect to be getting brill grades this early on - especially with the sucky new GCSE, seen as no one really knows the grade boundaries because no ones actually sat it yet....
Immerse yourself in the language as much as you possibly can that's my top piece of advice as a languages degree student. Listen to German radio, focus on key vocabulary and polish up on your grammar tenses (including the pesky dative). Don't be afraid to reach out to your teachers at school to help guide you or perhaps set additional homework tasks (you will get more structure this way). If your teachers cannot give you the extra attention perhaps consider asking your parents for a German language tutor (there are plenty of Erasmus students at local universities looking to gain experience and swap language skills). Believe me it is time-consuming but so worth it in the long run - especially if you want to take German to A Level or degree standard. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending