Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for uni in Scotland because I like Scottish course structure and would also like to take a year abroad. Does anyone know if the the year abroad is usually included within the 4 year course or would it make the course 5 years? I'm thinking of applying to St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I have just taken a gap year and will probably be taking another one next year so taking a 5 year course will mean finishing uni at 25 and 4 years after friends from school which I don't really like the idea of. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100years)
    I'm thinking of applying for uni in Scotland because I like Scottish course structure and would also like to take a year abroad. Does anyone know if the the year abroad is usually included within the 4 year course or would it make the course 5 years? I'm thinking of applying to St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I have just taken a gap year and will probably be taking another one next year so taking a 5 year course will mean finishing uni at 25 and 4 years after friends from school which I don't really like the idea of. Thanks!
    I don't really know about the other universities you mentioned, but in terms of St Andrews I think that it depends on exactly what you're doing on your year abroad. Are you wanting to study or work? If you're studying at another university abroad then that wouldn't lengthen the course (so it'd still be 4 years) but my understanding is that if you were to work for a year abroad then the degree would be 5 years long so that you're still doing 2 years of study at Honours level. I may be wrong on the last part- I'm not a student there yet so someone else might be able to give better information! I just have an offer for entry this September and am considering a year abroad in Germany. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow graduate here. It depends on the course. Some courses such as languages have a compulsory year abroad, whereas all other students (without the compulsory year abroad) can apply to study for a year abroad in any subject, if they want.

I'm not sure whether it would be 5 years or the normal 4 years if you went abroad. I believe you discuss that with your advisors before going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100years)
    (Speaking as a St Andrews grad)

The above posters are right that it will depend on which course you study and what you intend to do on the year abroad.

As an additional point: be aware that unless your course specifically has a year abroad component (as most language degrees do), it is certainly not guaranteed that you would be able to go on one. There tend to be many more students interested than there are places, so you would need to ensure top grades in the first couple of years to help your application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.