Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will AS level UMS scores still be seen by Cambridge with the reform? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Was just wondering, with the A level reform, will Cambridge still be asking for UMS scores in AS levels? If, obviously, you took them. Will they still ask for the SAQ, and will it be scrapped due to the reform (e.g. will it still be available for 2018, 2019 entry)?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scriptzer)
    Was just wondering, with the A level reform, will Cambridge still be asking for UMS scores in AS levels? If, obviously, you took them. Will they still ask for the SAQ, and will it be scrapped due to the reform (e.g. will it still be available for 2018, 2019 entry)?
    We will continue to ask for UMS from AS levels if you have it.Reformed AS levels don't provide UMS (raw marks are not the same), nor do internal exams so we will only really have UMS for candidates taking unreformed AS levels, mostly from Wales and Northern Ireland (depending on exam board) or those who took their exams before the change.

ReputationRep:
    I would add that the SAQ has a fair bit more to it than just UMS scores, that's only a small section of one page and I'd certainly imagine it will continue to be used. Peterhouse Admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    I would add that the SAQ has a fair bit more to it than just UMS scores, that's only a small section of one page and I'd certainly imagine it will continue to be used. Peterhouse Admissions
    Yes, the SAQ is very important and gives us a lot more information than we can get from the UCAS form - things like whether you had any teaching difficulties, were able to take the subjects you wanted, how you keep up your interest, what your class sizes are etc. etc.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    As above, and the 2018 SAQ will be available here soon:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

PS. I've moved your thread to the Cambridge forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    We will continue to ask for UMS from AS levels if you have it.Reformed AS levels don't provide UMS (raw marks are not the same), nor do internal exams so we will only really have UMS for candidates taking unreformed AS levels, mostly from Wales and Northern Ireland (depending on exam board) or those who took their exams before the change.
    If applicants take the reformed AS levels, will they have to enter the raw marks on the SAQ (instead of UMS)?

ReputationRep:
    If applicants take the reformed AS levels, will they have to enter the raw marks on the SAQ (instead of UMS)?
    No
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    No
    Although some colleges do seem to request it separately. Or at least they did in the 2017/18 cycle.

ReputationRep:
    My understanding is that not all candidates receive raw marks, but that might be wrong. Applicants (or more likely) teachers are welcome to mention raw marks or send them unsolicited, just as they are with any other information. Whether you do or don't won't increase or decrease your chances of admission.

ReputationRep:
    My understanding is that not all candidates receive raw marks, but that might be wrong. Applicants (or more likely) teachers are welcome to mention raw marks or send them unsolicited, just as they are with any other information. Whether you do or don't won't increase or decrease your chances of admission.
    I would have thought they'd received UMS marks anyway, even with the reformed AS levels. Or at least raw marks...?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Checking with Compost on this but afaik the schools do get raw marks.

I would have thought they'd received UMS marks anyway, even with the reformed AS levels. Or at least raw marks...?
    There's a significant difference between raw and UMS. They aren't directly comparable, and no there's no UMS for reformed subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Linear qualifications (e.g. the reformed A levels) do not have UMS marks. The secure download of results to schools generally only includes the overall grade for linear qualifications though Edexcel did manage to give the student's total mark for ASs last year and I believe OCR may also manage it this year (for A levels and AS). However, schools (teachers and the exam officers) can access more information from the exam board secure sites. This generally goes right down to how much a candidate scored on each question and certainly contains the total score for each paper sat.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, so could you still put the raw marks at AS in the SAQ to make your application more competitive? Or would that go in the teacher ucas reference (Peterhouse Admissions)

ReputationRep:
    So what will Cambridge look at if you don't have AS levels with A level reforms?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    So what will Cambridge look at if you don't have AS levels with A level reforms?
    Your entire application, the same as they already do with IB and Scottish applicants for example, and as they did before AS-levels were introduced a few years ago. They have literally 100s of years of experience of assessing applicants... and they spend hours on each applicant.

In addition most courses have at- or pre-interview assessments, and also the interview itself.

So long as you are realistically on target to achieve the course entry requirements it's likely you will be interviewed. They interview approx 75% of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Your entire application, the same as they already do with IB and Scottish applicants for example, and as they did before AS-levels were introduced a few years ago. They have literally 100s of years of experience of assessing applicants... and they spend hours on each applicant.

In addition most courses have at- or pre-interview assessments, and also the interview itself.

So long as you are realistically on target to achieve the course entry requirements it's likely you will be interviewed. They interview approx 75% of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good to know Gives me a lot of breathing space

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, so could you still put the raw marks at AS in the SAQ to make your application more competitive? Or would that go in the teacher ucas reference (Peterhouse Admissions)
    Do not enter raw marks as if there were UMS - the most appropriate place for them is in the teacher reference or you could send the statement of results separately by post. However, we're very aware of the fact that only those who have done well will be drawing attention to it and giving/not giving AS raw marks won't affect your chances of admission. We don't yet have any evidence that reformed AS results correlate with even A level results, never mind exam performance at university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.