Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate driving. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So around two years ago I passed my driving test (On the third try) in the October and in the January I got a car costing around £6000 (kindly given to me by my grandma who was giving money to all her grandkids) And ever since then I have barely used it and will do anything to get out of driving.

Driving gives me a lot of anxiety and whenever I have to go anywhere which isnt in my usual routes I get so much anxiety and I also feel like I'm a pretty shifty driver there doesnt seem to be one time where I dont mess up whilst driving.

I just constantly think about how much money I have wasted with the £6000 and the road tax and the £800 insurance every year on a car I hate to drive and just leave on the drive.

I'm thinking about just selling it and maybe getting a cheaper car or maybe nothing at all. What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamonds1997)
    So around two years ago I passed my driving test (On the third try) in the October and in the January I got a car costing around £6000 (kindly given to me by my grandma who was giving money to all her grandkids) And ever since then I have barely used it and will do anything to get out of driving.

Driving gives me a lot of anxiety and whenever I have to go anywhere which isnt in my usual routes I get so much anxiety and I also feel like I'm a pretty shifty driver there doesnt seem to be one time where I dont mess up whilst driving.

I just constantly think about how much money I have wasted with the £6000 and the road tax and the £800 insurance every year on a car I hate to drive and just leave on the drive.

I'm thinking about just selling it and maybe getting a cheaper car or maybe nothing at all. What do you guys think?
    Why not go to an empty car park or very secluded area and drive around there a few times a week to get your confidence back? It can be daunting driving but you're more than good enough to have passed, just remind yourself of that or ask a driving instructor to sit in the car with you whilst you drive because that might make you feel a bit more confident. Only sell it if you don't need it because once you're a lot more confident you'll use it a lot more. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamonds1997)

I think your cars's worth a lot less than £6000 now. And I think if your insurance stayed the same every year with No Claims Bonuses, then I think you've been mugged off.

You've already wasted your money for two years. You can not waste what ever is left by 1) driving 2)selling up completely.

My suggestion? Drive it. Public transport is for plebs. A car is your own bubble, no filthy hobos allowed in.

ReputationRep:
    I passed last year but no longer drive. Too stressful, I just can't face getting into the driver's seat again. I don't have my own car I would drive my husband's Hyundai i40. I found this way too big for me I think in hindsight I shouldn't have driven it all - I should have waited until I could afford my own small car.

Anyway the best thing to do if you want to drive is not give up like I did.

If you find something stressful and you stop you feel a relief but then because you feel a sense of relief you don't want do the thing that causes you stress again. You are less likely to do it and in the end you stop doing it completely. Look up anxiety and avoidance.

Best thing to do is keep driving even if it means taking more lessons to build confidence. If you stop driving you will struggle to ever drive again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AysheaS)
    I passed last year but no longer drive. Too stressful, I just can't face getting into the driver's seat again. I don't have my own car I would drive my husband's Hyundai i40. I found this way too big for me I think in hindsight I shouldn't have driven it all - I should have waited until I could afford my own small car.

Anyway the best thing to do if you want to drive is not give up like I did.

If you find something stressful and you stop you feel a relief but then because you feel a sense of relief you don't want do the thing that causes you stress again. You are less likely to do it and in the end you stop doing it completely. Look up anxiety and avoidance.

Best thing to do is keep driving even if it means taking more lessons to build confidence. If you stop driving you will struggle to ever drive again.
    What do you feel is more difficult about driving a bigger car? I learnt to drive a couple of years ago in a small hatchback but now drive a large saloon. I think 3 point turns and parking is harder, leading me to avoid doing them or park out of the way. But actually driving, as in forward to your destination I found no difference.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to derail the thread so I won't go into too much detail. I found it very daunting getting into a larger car. I have very poor spacial awareness and I just didn't know where the car was. Parking was a nightmare, I could not park in bays. Parking on the road would involve me being a mile away from the kerb. Terrible at judging gaps. I would get too close to parked cars.

I think it would have been less daunting in a smaller car. It felt like going from a Little Tykes car to a tank. I took over a year of driving lessons and I found it very difficult learning to drive. For someone who has poor spacial awareness and someone who struggled to learn I feel a smaller car would have made me feel more comfortable.

The issue is now I don't want to drive any car. It is not worth the stress and sleepless nights.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.