Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had my fair share of rude and patronising lecturers in university, but last year I came across one who spent most of their time making rude, nasty comments directed towards me. They were trying to come across as subtle but it was blatantly obvious. I don't trust and have lost all respect for this lecturer, beacsuse they clearly don't have the decency to treat their own students with respect. I've had some who have never replied to my emails, like EVER. I feel a bit deflated and particularly not excited about going back to uni in September. I know this is probs very common but I'm wondering where I should draw the line. What is acceptable behaviour here???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cvbnm1)
    I've had my fair share of rude and patronising lecturers in university, but last year I came across one who spent most of their time making rude, nasty comments directed towards me. They were trying to come across as subtle but it was blatantly obvious. I don't trust and have lost all respect for this lecturer, beacsuse they clearly don't have the decency to treat their own students with respect. I've had some who have never replied to my emails, like EVER. I feel a bit deflated and particularly not excited about going back to uni in September. I know this is probs very common but I'm wondering where I should draw the line. What is acceptable behaviour here???
    Perhaps focussing less on perceived slights against you by busy lecturers and focussing more on the academic work in hand would help you better? If I'm going to be honest, you sound a bit like 'one of those people' - 'fair share of rude and patronising lecturers'...'most of their time making rude and nasty comments directed towards me'....never replied to emails...' You do sound a bit like a victim.

Everyone has sent emails to which they haven't received replies...it's a part of life. Maybe you were being overly sensitive about these comments - it seems odd that a lecturer would have so little to do that they could spend time targeting you. My advice would be to put these personal issues to one side and concentrate on your academic work, given that's what you're there for.

ReputationRep:
    Undergraduate students aren't particularly of interest to lecturers. Get over it.

(Original post by Reality Check)
    It seems odd that a lecturer would have so little to do that they could spend time targeting you. My advice would be to put these personal issues to one side and concentrate on your academic work, given that's what you're there for.
    ^This is good advice and should be how you approach this, OP.

However, if it gets to the point where you truly feel your learning/work is inhibited then maybe try and speak to some coursemates who might be able to shed insight into their experiences with the same lecturer? If others share your concern, maybe gently mention it to your tutor - they are likely a colleague of that lecturer and will know them well. They may be well-placed to offer some advice in confidence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.