Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I went to the Durham Open Day and I really liked these two colleges (quite surprising because they are both really different) but I really cant decide between the two. I want to study Geography but I was wondering if someone could give me the in's and out's of each of them or if you could help narrow my decision? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't St Mary's closer to the science site? Also a bit closer to town.

ReputationRep:
    They're both hill colleges (Mary's is marginally closer to the science site and the rest of the city, but I wouldn't let that influence your decision).

Mary's is the oldest hill college, originally all-girls (and I believe still has a female-only accommodation wing, though I could be wrong). Small underground bar that looks like an air raid shelter, pretty buildings, has a reputation for being a bit quirky. More formal than the other hill colleges (they wear gowns, for example), it's on the smaller side of the mid-sized colleges.

Van Mildert has ducks! Much bigger college, ducks, duckpond, weird feather sculpture, much less formal (no gowns, formal meals tend to happen less frequently and to be bigger events). I get the impression that they're quite sporty and outgoing - people from Mildert are involved in lots of stuff, whereas Mary's seems a bit more insular.

Mildert is busy and lively, with lots going on. Mary's is a bit more intimate. They're very different - I suggest googling both colleges and watching their videos to give yourself a better sense of what they're like.

ReputationRep:
    Mildert is more "modern" than mary's. They both have a pretty similar reputation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.