Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I get A*A*A on results day, should I take a gap year? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i would be 20 when I go to university though, also I resat my AS levels and I have fairly okay-ish gcses. 6As 1A* 4Bs and a B in FSMQ.

Should I even possibly consider LSE or UCL or Warwick??? If I get these grades

ReputationRep:
    A*A*A are amazing A-Levels.
    I think that the unis you listed are within your reach. Most of their grade requirements are around A*AA so you will definitely have a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by APersonYo)
    i would be 20 when I go to university though, also I resat my AS levels and I have fairly okay-ish gcses. 6As 1A* 4Bs and a B in FSMQ.

Should I even possibly consider LSE or UCL or Warwick??? If I get these grades
    Where do you currently hold offers from & for what?

ReputationRep:
    I applied through extra and I have one offer from Bath to study accounting and finance which is AAAB ( I already have an A in epq)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I applied through extra and I have one offer from Bath to study accounting and finance which is AAAB ( I already have an A in epq)
    you could try adjustment then take a gap year if you dont find anything.

ReputationRep:
    sounds goood

ReputationRep:
    Considered oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    Have a gap year man, you won't regret it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xs4)
    Considered oxbridge?
    Wouldn't get in. Subpar GCSE results and I resat AS.

ReputationRep:
    You never know unless you try, it sounds like you've let what TSR defines as stellar academic performance as cloud your judgement. Even if you did resit , i have friends at both Oxford and Cambridge that had to resit AS modules - their personal statements were just flawless and they went into the interviews relaxed. Its circumstantial and you just have to try your best, writing yourself off from the get go won't get you into any top uni - i believe you could get in & even if you don't you gave it a shot and won't have any regrets later in life.

(i put it off because of the same thing but I'm still going to try and do some post-grad study at one of them)

Have a great day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xs4)
    You never know unless you try, it sounds like you've let what TSR defines as stellar academic performance as cloud your judgement. Even if you did resit , i have friends at both Oxford and Cambridge that had to resit AS modules - their personal statements were just flawless and they went into the interviews relaxed. Its circumstantial and you just have to try your best, writing yourself off from the get go won't get you into any top uni - i believe you could get in & even if you don't you gave it a shot and won't have any regrets later in life.

(i put it off because of the same thing but I'm still going to try and do some post-grad study at one of them)

Have a great day.
    Resitting an AS module is fine. It's not like cambridge are TOTALLY against resits. I would not get in simply because a lot of people applying to cambridge will have at least 10 A*s at GCSE. I've seen people get rejected from oxford despite achieving 7A*s at A level and been predicted 4A*s at A-level, like... the competition is fierce.

ReputationRep:
    If you can get those results at A-Level, you could get an 80% at Bath. With such a grade, you could do anything you want once you graduate.

Unless you have a moral opposition to Bath, or otherwise just hate the course, there is no real reason to abandon the course for a "better" university. The name of the university isn't going to make any difference to you.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Resitting an AS module is fine. It's not like cambridge are TOTALLY against resits. I would not get in simply because a lot of people applying to cambridge will have at least 10 A*s at GCSE. I've seen people get rejected from oxford despite achieving 7A*s at A level and been predicted 4A*s at A-level, like... the competition is fierce.
    Of course it's going to be fierce, but to be honest thats down to the candidate, you don't know how their interview really went. There are many factors that contribute to acceptation/rejection its not all about the grades. You've done well and with a cracking interview you could easily pick up an offer amidst the competition. I mean if you don't want it that badly thats down to you and what you deem to be a good academic portfolio, people getting 7A* are probably going to the best schools which doesn't really say much apart from the fact that they're a product of the private sector. Plus even if they got rejected with 4+A* the could probably just go to an ivy-league uni.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need amazing GCSE's for oxbridge, A levels are the priority & a good personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    I resat AS at a private school?! Like, I don't see why I would get in when most people get 3 A*s first try

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Apply to Oxbridge as well because, f—k it, what's the worst that can happen? You get rejected and move on with your life, quite possibly to LSE or UCL. Always aim for the best. Never settle, even if it means entering university a year later. Delayed gratification and all that. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Try adjustment .

ReputationRep:
    go for it honestly and apply for oxbridge you literally have nothing to loose. its just one option.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge compare GCSE's to your school's averag, also other contextual info.

I am applying (if I get good AS grades on results day) with similar GCSE's to yours, I resat year 12 with different subjects. I say you should go with it especially with those achieved grades, and imo admissions test can help put a weaker GCSE profile to one side.

Good luck!

Definitely consider unis like UCL,Wariwck,Durham etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.