Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP! What A-Level subjects should I take Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So I'm 16, and sixth form enrolment day is fast approaching and I need some advice on my A-Level subject choices....
    On my application I put down

Business Studies
    Geography
    Psychology

And I want to go into Marketing/Product development/PR sort of thing. Obviously the GCSE results haven't come in yet but i'm expected Mainly B's a few C's and A's and an A* or two. Maths is not my strong point at all and I ended up having to take Foundation Tier which the highest attainable grade on is a '5' (equivalent to high C low B in old money) I am hoping for the 5.

I'm just so torn as I enjoyed Geography GCSE but I've been warned by the careers advisor that she took Geog A-Level and then Geog Degree and she found the A-Level harder than the Degree!

I'm thinking about swapping the Geography A level for either Media Studies, photography, Musical theatre or POSSIBLY English Language (dependent on GCSE) I'm not aiming to attend an Oxbridge Uni but am vaguely looking at Sussex to do Management with Marketing and Psychology. So what A levels would be respected enough and appropriate for that course at Sussex or another well respected Uni. Appretinceships/Sponsored degree sort of things are something I'm also looking into...

I did not take Business at GCSE but I feel like Business and Psychology are quite obvious and solid choices for what I want to study further and eventually go into as a career

Sorry for that rant but i'm just so undecided! HELP.... any advice around my A-Levels or any tips to do with Marketing/Product Development/PR would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Looci2001)
    Hi everyone,

So I'm 16, and sixth form enrolment day is fast approaching and I need some advice on my A-Level subject choices....
    On my application I put down

Business Studies
    Geography
    Psychology

And I want to go into Marketing/Product development/PR sort of thing. Obviously the GCSE results haven't come in yet but i'm expected Mainly B's a few C's and A's and an A* or two. Maths is not my strong point at all and I ended up having to take Foundation Tier which the highest attainable grade on is a '5' (equivalent to high C low B in old money) I am hoping for the 5.

I'm just so torn as I enjoyed Geography GCSE but I've been warned by the careers advisor that she took Geog A-Level and then Geog Degree and she found the A-Level harder than the Degree!

I'm thinking about swapping the Geography A level for either Media Studies, photography, Musical theatre or POSSIBLY English Language (dependent on GCSE) I'm not aiming to attend an Oxbridge Uni but am vaguely looking at Sussex to do Management with Marketing and Psychology. So what A levels would be respected enough and appropriate for that course at Sussex or another well respected Uni. Appretinceships/Sponsored degree sort of things are something I'm also looking into...

I did not take Business at GCSE but I feel like Business and Psychology are quite obvious and solid choices for what I want to study further and eventually go into as a career

Sorry for that rant but i'm just so undecided! HELP.... any advice around my A-Levels or any tips to do with Marketing/Product Development/PR would be appreciated.
    Contact the uni and ask them if they'd consider you with the a-levels you're considering.
    Also consider which one you would enjoy the most.

Look into the A-level spec for the course, look up course content to see if it's something you'd be interested in. Maybe do practice questions as well to get a feel and see how hard it really is for you.

Can't say anything about Geography but similar to your case; I enjoyed Physics at GCSE but at A-level it is HARD so didn't enjoy so much that i'm considering changing it when we come back for year 2.

I think your choices are quite broad which is good. The site doesn't specify any specific subjects but I can imagine for the Sussex course specifically, business and psychology may cover the requirements. Contact them just in case anyway if they'd favour any of your alternative a level choices.

Look at requirements for other unis too.

Media and English is quite a broad course as well which is good. Media in particular would be beneficial for PR stuff I can imagine.
    As for the other choices; they wouldn't be bad ideas either. As said already, it's important you choose what you know you'll enjoy. Your mind on what you want to do in the future can change anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.