Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are your parents helping you with university finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    2018 entry. I am currently in year 12 going into year 13 in September. I have asked about bursaries and scholarships at various open days and the exact figures haven't been decided. I don't know which university I will apply for. I am considering Lancaster, Surrey, Warwick, Birmingham, Durham and Imperial.
    Just try and get a part time job while in year 13, thats what I did and managed to earn £3000 which you could then use to pay for driving lessons next summer. I can't drive and my parents drive me to work whenever I have a shift (i work part time at a pub) and its not weird/ childish and nobody thinks anything of it.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    Just looking at the Surrey one and do you have to live in a "POLAR" postcode. My postcode isn't in that category, so would I be entitled?
    Well it says: "Students with a household income of less than £25,000 and who are resident in POLAR* postcodes 1 – 2."

So yes...

But if you have any queries about the details just contact the university direct. They have an admissions team sitting, waiting, for your call

ReputationRep:
    Check primark to see if they have any weekend vacancies and apply for a student loan if you haven't already. Through the loan, you will be able to finance yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Getting a car isn't a problem. My parents would allow me to practise on their car and I wouldn't need my own. I am struggling to get work because I live in a rather rural remote area, so everywhere I go I need transport. The public transport is practically non existent, but I can rely on my parents for transport. When I go for jobs, they always ask me whether I can drive. When I tell them I can't, but my parents will be able to get me there everyday, I feel like they count it against me. Employers think that those who have to rely on others for transport are unreliable workers. I have had a few interviews for seasonal work, but got nothing. I think I am able to claim the maximum for maintenance loan (if they haven't changed it). I am hoping to get at least some form of bursary from the university, but I don't know how much it will be.
    I can understand why you want to learn to drive now - living in a rural area means this is an important skill. It's so much easier to get work both now and after graduating if you can drive.

Good luck in finding a job - maybe look for a Saturday job as well? Even washing cars would get you some money.

Parents can't always treat their children equally so talk to them again - perhaps they can help your elder brother with something else later on?

ReputationRep:
    I'm even staying at home for uni and my mum isn't necessarily helping out with financial costs. She simply can't afford to. I'm going to be paying the rent for our house with my student loan and she's paying the rest of the bills. I'm also using money I've earnt from my job to pay for my driving lessons. Though my mum did pay for one block right at the beginning as a present, but that's all she's given and can give. I guess she will help out if I'm really struggling as the entire of my loan save for £50 each installment is going on rent, but otherwise I'm on my own.

It's mainly why I've stayed at home at least for the first year. So I can keep my job and save money to hopefully move out closer to uni for my 2nd or 3rd year. I've been saving since December and have already saved £1,000.

My advice is if you can't afford to learn how to drive just stop until you can. Even if you struggle to get the funds together for your lessons what the hell are you going to do when you pass? You'll have to get a car and pay insurance and that's gonna be sky high. I mean you could always pass and wait until you can afford to get a car, but by the sounds of it that's not what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    helping me lose it perhaps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PEFLAME)
    You don't even need to drive when you're at Uni, just wait until you finish?
    I must say I've always been puzzled by this "university students don't need to drive" attitude. Maybe I'm biased due to going to a rural university where you pretty much need a car to get around.

Being able to drive is important when looking for jobs, whether it's part time work during university or getting a "proper" job afterwards. Some jobs require it, and even those that don't will see it as an advantage. Not just that, it's important just for your own independence generally.

Say you graduate, and are then looking for work, but none of it is suitable because you don't have a driving license yet, and you can't just learn to drive overnight. See the problem?

Alternatively, you learn to drive before or during university, even if you don't buy a car yet, and once you graduate all you need to do is buy some sort of car if the jobs you are looking for need it, and you're sorted.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    I must say I've always been puzzled by this "university students don't need to drive" attitude. Maybe I'm biased due to going to a rural university where you pretty much need a car to get around.

Being able to drive is important when looking for jobs, whether it's part time work during university or getting a "proper" job afterwards. Some jobs require it, and even those that don't will see it as an advantage. Not just that, it's important just for your own independence generally.

Say you graduate, and are then looking for work, but none of it is suitable because you don't have a driving license yet, and you can't just learn to drive overnight. See the problem?

Alternatively, you learn to drive before or during university, even if you don't buy a car yet, and once you graduate all you need to do is buy some sort of car if the jobs you are looking for need it, and you're sorted.
    Depends on the university - many don't allow student cars at all. And in the OP's case it seems they were giving us an either/or: learn to drive OR go to uni.

But yes I generally agree, it *is* a good skill to have and the summer of Y12 or Y13 is a good time to learn.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    My family couldnt really afford to help me out, mum bought me my first food shop and drove me there but i never would have ask for more as i got the maximum loan.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    No, my parents aren't. I'm relying completely on my loan. I can't work due to disability. Could you not wait until you're able to get a car anyway? Don't do it just because of peer pressure and embarrassment. It's far too much money to spend down to that. Seeing as you can't take a car to uni anyway, there'd be no point in getting one while you're there so you won't be driving for a few years yet. By then you'd be out of practice. It makes more sense just to learn then

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.