Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does being gay affect uni choice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Today marks 50 years since homosexuality was decriminalised! :nyan:

To mark this momentous occasion and the developments for LGBTQ+ people (Also, X factor contestant Honey G has just come out!), I wanted to know what you guys think about current issues and hear your personal experiences!

Has your sexuality affected your choice of uni? (e.g. you chose a city uni with a higher LGBTQ+ population)

Have you been to/ are you going to a Pride event this year?

Does it affect where you travel? ( 72 other countries and territories worldwide continue to criminalise same-sex relationships, including 45 in which sexual relationships between women are outlawed. In eight countries it can still result in death penalty)

And anything else LGBTQ+ you wanna talk about!

ReputationRep:
    I have a few gay friends who decided to go to the University of Sussex and Brighton uni for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    For me no, the vast majority of uni's here are similar in their total acceptance, so I wasn't fazed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    I have a few gay friends who decided to go to the University of Sussex and Brighton uni for obvious reasons.
    haha me too! Both fab unis (I'm a lil biased) ! #UptheSuss

ReputationRep:
    In application process at the moment but it has a large effect if you ask me.. Birmingham being the only uni that offers LGBT only accomodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gcseggw)
    In application process at the moment but it has a large effect if you ask me.. Birmingham being the only uni that offers LGBT only accomodation
    I didn't now there was a such a thing! Would you not feel comfortable in "normal" halls?

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't a primary factor but I guess part of the reason I prefered Uni's in cities was that I knew various apps *cough* grindr *cough* would be more active

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    I didn't now there was a such a thing! Would you not feel comfortable in "normal" halls?
    I would but having this type means we have something we can immediately bond over and makes the starting of uni seem easier as well as making lgbt friends quickly

ReputationRep:
    It never affected my uni choice, I went primarily to get an education.

However it certainly does limit my travel choices, I would never travel to a country where I could be persecuted because of who I am. But they are mostly Islamic countries that I have no desire to go.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I can't say it affected my choice personally, but I can see why it might for others, if a uni offered a better LGBT community etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye, as a straight male I was less likely to go to places with extremely low hot, available female ratios (Oxbridge) :flutter: and to Brighton/Sussex :camp:

ReputationRep:
    I went to university to get a degree, not to give more focus to my sexuality. Nonetheless, I did end up in London and I've been to two gay clubs, one in London (biggest in Europe supposedly) and the other in Bristol. Neither were anything particularly special and that's probably because my sexuality is a very very small part of who I am. I've never been to Pride and whilst I guess I'd like to go someday, I'm not that bothered. It doesn't affect where I travel either.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It did for me a bit in that I wanted somewhere with an active LGBT+ community, and somewhere that celebrates Pride too
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't really affected my Uni choice, no, however I do miss Manchester (where I lived prior to moving to Leicester for University) as the prospects here are pretty bleak. The only eligible men seem to be those passing through for business.

ReputationRep:
    Never even crossed my mind lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.