The Student Room Group

Having to use 4g for internet at home as our only option, how can we improve signal?

^^
Originally it seemed vodafone had the best signal but they messed me about for a while with a contract so now we have a 4g data plan with o2 to use for internet at home since we can't get broadband.
But the device we have barely gets signal in most of our living room, what can I do to make it work better? I don't mind investing in a different device or signal booster just want whatever the best option is, although since i m using my iphone for tethering (which is on vodafone) at the moment it seems like we should cancel the o2 contract before it's too late to.
Original post by claireestelle
^^
Originally it seemed vodafone had the best signal but they messed me about for a while with a contract so now we have a 4g data plan with o2 to use for internet at home since we can't get broadband.
But the device we have barely gets signal in most of our living room, what can I do to make it work better? I don't mind investing in a different device or signal booster just want whatever the best option is, although since i m using my iphone for tethering (which is on vodafone) at the moment it seems like we should cancel the o2 contract before it's too late to.

HI claire- in my way out at the moment.

Can i suggest you post your query on the thinkbroadband forums, they will sort out your technicals and suggest whether there are any alternatives that will work for you.

Pick the right section maybe post in 2 places.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser.html
Original post by 999tigger
HI claire- in my way out at the moment.

Can i suggest you post your query on the thinkbroadband forums, they will sort out your technicals and suggest whether there are any alternatives that will work for you.

Pick the right section maybe post in 2 places.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser.html

Thank you :smile:
^^

You can find devices that look and operate like a conventional home router with a SIM card slot (this came up with a quick Google search), they should provide a stronger signal around your home than the cheap 4G dongles carriers normally issue with their mobile broadband contracts. Of course this won't overcome if the signal in your area isn't very strong to begin with!
We have a device rather than a dongle that was issued with the contract, it has pretty sucky reviews though. So i shall have to invest in a better one, i've currently got the device on top of a box and there seems to be good signal there.
^^

Hey, :wavey:

Have you done a speed test by any chance?

Try moving the modem closer to a window, and the higher the modem is in the house the better ideally.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Hey, :wavey:

Have you done a speed test by any chance?

Try moving the modem closer to a window, and the higher the modem is in the house the better ideally.

Yes we have it's 12mbs and it's slightly better in the bedroom. We live in a town house so it's pretty high up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending