Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

50 years since homosexuality was decriminalized Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomH97)
    Plus, 50 years ago is bloody ages for most people on here XD

I'm not sure what more the law can do that would have anywhere near the impact, the rest is up to society and time. I guess it could prohibit forms asking people to disclose their sexuality (although they tend to ask for gender, ethnicity and marital status) so that any rejection due to those would be after the face to face meeting which is easier to keep track of.
    They ask these questions for statistical purposes, and employers don't have that data until they hire I think.

It would look good for a company to have lots of LGBT, non white, disabled (insert some other minority) people because it would make them look progressive.

Attitudes will change with time, especially around the world too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Shocking that it's such a recent development, but still a fantastic step forward. We've come leaps and bounds since then, and I hope that trend continues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even in in the last 15-20 years I think it's changed a lot. I can remember gay 'firsts' on telly being a big deal, and how tough it would have been if you were outed as gay in school. I know people a few years younger than me who said they had openly gay friends at school, which was ****ing shocking to me, seems now you can just get on with it. Things are changing for the better I think.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.