Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Failed QTS skills tests- Help!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've failed both QTS skills tests, Numeracy by 5 marks and Literacy by 1 mark (so annoying!) . Need some advice/help to make sure I pass them both on the second attempt.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it seems like you weren't really that far off from passing so that's good. I passed the literacy one in the first attempt. I recommend doing all the online practice tests and aim to get atleast 65% on them. I felt the spellings were much harder in the real one so maybe go through spellings that relate to the school setting and are quite hard to spell. For example 'recommend', 'accommodate'.
    For the numeracy test, I was 1 mark away in the first attempt and then I passed in my second attempt. Same thing goes to this-try getting 65% atleast on practice tests. YouTube videos are very helpful. I also bought a book by Vali Nasser which was really good as it gave examples and also gave practice questions.
    I hope I was helpful. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I passed both on the first attempt primarily through watching youtube videos. There are youtube videos that go through each question for the numeracy, which I found invaluable as they showed you the method. So I'd watch a youtube video, take a test, watch another video, another test, etc.

I second the comment about spellings in the literacy - I seem to remember I had 'accommodate' on mine!

For the numeracy, the best advice I received was simply not to panic - as it begins with the mental maths section it's easy to miss a few and panic, and let that put you off the rest of the test. Don't panic, just keep thinking 'I can still pass', even if you miss quite a few mental maths questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minilogz)
    Hey, it seems like you weren't really that far off from passing so that's good. I passed the literacy one in the first attempt. I recommend doing all the online practice tests and aim to get atleast 65% on them. I felt the spellings were much harder in the real one so maybe go through spellings that relate to the school setting and are quite hard to spell. For example 'recommend', 'accommodate'.
    For the numeracy test, I was 1 mark away in the first attempt and then I passed in my second attempt. Same thing goes to this-try getting 65% atleast on practice tests. YouTube videos are very helpful. I also bought a book by Vali Nasser which was really good as it gave examples and also gave practice questions.
    I hope I was helpful. Good luck
    Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes i will definitely go through more school related spellings, as this was one of my weaker points as well as grammar.

I also have the Vali Nasser book, so i'll continue to use that, plus youtube.
    65% is a good minimum target, you've been a great help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cathrela)
    I passed both on the first attempt primarily through watching youtube videos. There are youtube videos that go through each question for the numeracy, which I found invaluable as they showed you the method. So I'd watch a youtube video, take a test, watch another video, another test, etc.

I second the comment about spellings in the literacy - I seem to remember I had 'accommodate' on mine!

For the numeracy, the best advice I received was simply not to panic - as it begins with the mental maths section it's easy to miss a few and panic, and let that put you off the rest of the test. Don't panic, just keep thinking 'I can still pass', even if you miss quite a few mental maths questions.
    First of all well done on passing, yes I agree youtube videos are extremely useful. I will try your method, and hopefully that helps.

The mental maths section was my weakness, and what you said about panicking at the that section was exactly what i did. Need to go in with a positive mindset next time. Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Just an update, I've passed both numeracy/ literacy now and will start uni soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rm03)
    So I've failed both QTS skills tests, Numeracy by 5 marks and Literacy by 1 mark (so annoying!) . Need some advice/help to make sure I pass them both on the second attempt.
    Get yourself some books. I recommend these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Lit...words=qts+test

Don't fret about your spellings. There are millions of words to learn and you will be tested on 10 random words. I learned lots of words and none came up in the test. Do focus on grammar and punctuation though as you can pick up lots of easy marks in these sections.

As for maths - all I can say, is read the questions very carefully and check your answers. But keep half an eye on the clock.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Get yourself some books. I recommend these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Lit...words=qts+test

Don't fret about your spellings. There are millions of words to learn and you will be tested on 10 random words. I learned lots of words and none came up in the test. Do focus on grammar and punctuation though as you can pick up lots of easy marks in these sections.

As for maths - all I can say, is read the questions very carefully and check your answers. But keep half an eye on the clock.

Good luck!
    Hi, Thank you for your suggestions. I have passed both tests now. What a relief! I did actually use that literacy book. It was really useful!

ReputationRep:
    Pleased to hear that - good luck for Uni! The PGCE year is great - I still say it was both the best and hardest year of my life so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rm03)
    Hi, Thank you for your suggestions. I have passed both tests now. What a relief! I did actually use that literacy book. It was really useful!
    Congratulations and well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cathrela)
    Pleased to hear that - good luck for Uni! The PGCE year is great - I still say it was both the best and hardest year of my life so far
    Thank you! I'm looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by computed)
    Congratulations and well done!
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.