Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need some reassurance because I think I will get ABB/AAB In Biology, Maths and Chemistry so I think I will be rejected so please reply.

ReputationRep:
    No, but I am from Portsmouth so I instantly dislike you.

Jokes.

What do you need reassurance about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    No, but I am from Portsmouth so I instantly dislike you.

Jokes.

What do you need reassurance about?
    I guess I'm just worried if I will be rejected... I kinda need to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    Why is it so necessary to get in? Can you not see yourself at your insurance if you miss your grades?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Search the thread of Uni of Southampton applicants for the previous years and use the tool to find what people got for their results and hopefully you'll do find your answer. I'm doing Compsci as well but another uni. Good luck, I'm sure they'll be lenient from it were just a grade off in chemistry for example.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation, I think I might get AAB (I'm like 50/50 on whether I'll get A*AB or AAB), idk how lenient they are. Might as well give them a call on results day if I don't get in, maybe will just say how much I want to go to Southampton or give excuses about new A-levels etc.

Hope it goes well for both of us, if so I'll see you in September!

ReputationRep:
    Not a great lost if you don't get in.been there done that, it's not great teaching here and student support is rubbish. If you are gifted and talented , you'll have a great time here, just as I did for my undergraduate. But then now in my postgraduate studies and I developed a serious illness, they didn't want to know. I have been made to go on medical suspension for more than a year now and they still wouldn't acknowledge my medical professionals request to accommodate my illness. I mean when a senior cardiologist writes to the director of your university, you'd expect them to at least have a chat with you to see what it's all about, right? Nope. They just ignore the lot and forced me to take medical leave despite being=told there is no known cure for my heart condition.

So my advice for you is this: if you are having to scrape through to get in, given the lack of student support, you'll be better off elsewhere.

This is a university who picks off the cherries and has a high intake of gifted students, who then brings the results and High standard, because they are gifted. The gifted would just do what natural to them, produce something amazing. The university then takes the credit for it. Don't be con. They won't make you great as they claim.

Since graduating from my first degree here, I went on to do other things and further courses. It was only then that I experience what it means to have a personal tutor. Seriously, if you get in, great. Be prepared to look after yourself. If not, no grwat loss. The excellent tutoring at other university and after sales service like writing references after you've graduated will be far better value for your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heath Robinson)
    Not a great lost if you don't get in.been there done that, it's not great teaching here and student support is rubbish. If you are gifted and talented , you'll have a great time here, just as I did for my undergraduate. But then now in my postgraduate studies and I developed a serious illness, they didn't want to know. I have been made to go on medical suspension for more than a year now and they still wouldn't acknowledge my medical professionals request to accommodate my illness. I mean when a senior cardiologist writes to the director of your university, you'd expect them to at least have a chat with you to see what it's all about, right? Nope. They just ignore the lot and forced me to take medical leave despite being=told there is no known cure for my heart condition.

So my advice for you is this: if you are having to scrape through to get in, given the lack of student support, you'll be better off elsewhere.

This is a university who picks off the cherries and has a high intake of gifted students, who then brings the results and High standard, because they are gifted. The gifted would just do what natural to them, produce something amazing. The university then takes the credit for it. Don't be con. They won't make you great as they claim.

Since graduating from my first degree here, I went on to do other things and further courses. It was only then that I experience what it means to have a personal tutor. Seriously, if you get in, great. Be prepared to look after yourself. If not, no grwat loss. The excellent tutoring at other university and after sales service like writing references after you've graduated will be far better value for your money.
    Oh really. I have heard quite the opposite which is interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Another issue is, that I am actually retaking this year as I was rejected last year when I chose it for my insurance last year with BBB. I know some people who got in with ABB/AAB so I hope ABB Is enough. I actually live 5 mins away from the university too. So I really need to get in because it is an excellent university for computer science and good overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heath Robinson)

Do you do computer science? If so could you please let me know how other people who got in did at A levels?

ReputationRep:
    I know of people who got into Southampton ECS with AAB. Your A Level in Mathematics needs to be an A though. Southampton is one of those universities that participates in UCAS clearing so you never know your luck might be different on A Level results day?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    They might offer you ITO as an alternative. In many ways it's a better course (smaller lecture/class sizes, content more relevant and vocational and less theoretical).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    All of the above is more or less correct but I would highlight that their CS department is definitely one of their crown jewels, and so their courses tend to be somewhat more oversubscribed than the others.

In any case, there's no real reason to worry about it now. It's out of your hands at this point, so you can only wait for results and then contact them if you do miss out.

They may well be able to offer you a place on a related programme, either another within the department, a joint honours, or one of the ITMB/ITO type courses.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I think I scraped an A in maths or got like 1 ums below... I did email them about this and talked about few other things about how this is pretty much my last chance, they haven't replied yet :/ But I hope they will soon and understand.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I think I scraped an A in maths or got like 1 ums below... I did email them about this and talked about few other things about how this is pretty much my last chance, they haven't replied yet :/ But I hope they will soon and understand.
    If they reply, let me know how nice/lenient they seemed :P thanks

Good luck again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.