Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Only the good Uni's should survive. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What about Uni's like mine that got a gold TEF score (where some russell groups didn't) but are lower down in the league tables because they haven't been a uni for a long time (climbing every year though!)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What constitutes a 'good uni?'

Cant use the old and frankly outdated Russell Group argument as my uni (ex-poly) consistently outranks some RG unis

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree - there are way too many dud universities around these days offering worthless degrees.

I say we privatise the higher education sector and let these universities sink or swim by themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I go to Oxford.

I am better than you.

I am more important than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    I completely agree - there are way too many dud universities around these days offering worthless degrees.

I say we privatise the higher education sector and let these universities sink or swim by themselves.
    Gender studies and women studies are not worthless degrees!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  oSP66mm.png
Views: 37
Size:  106.2 KB
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samendra)
    I'm talking Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and certain courses at Warwick, UCL, Durham etc.. That would reduce the number of (dumb) people going to uni and so the (clever) people who do go should get no tuition costs.
    The people who are not so academically successful shouldn't go to uni, do other apprenticeships and the people who work at sh*tty unis should find work elsewhere if they are good enough otherwise academica doesn't need them.
    And yet you considered an apprenticeship* yourself.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4602076

*Not that an apprenticeship is a bad thing, but it doesn't exactly fit with your superelitist view of university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    And yet you considered an apprenticeship*
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4602076

*Not that an apprenticeship is a bad thing, but it doesn't exactly fit with your superelitist view of university.
    Sick. Shots fired.

ReputationRep:
    The people who are not so academically successful shouldn't go to uni, do other apprenticeships and the people who work at sh*tty unis should find work elsewhere if they are good enough otherwise academica doesn't need them.
    Damn, you're savage.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    OP missed their offer it seems.

ReputationRep:
    What you're suggesting is ridiculous! Tuition fees should be free for those who actually want an education and who will actually put in the effort where as if you're simply going to Uni for the experience or more specifically, to just party and get hammered, I think there should be charges put in place to prevent that happening. Just my personal opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    As a UCL student with friends who study engineering here, you made the right choice. I've not heard one good thing about UCL Engineering.
    What sort of things did you hear?

ReputationRep:
    OP is insecure. I don't think he/she is tearing other people down because they feel secure and good about themselves.

I got into a "good university", but how the OP is talking is a disgrace. No decent person wants to be friends with someone like that.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Sick. Shots fired.
    And yet you get the rep...

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    And yet you get the rep...

:getmecoat:
    I'm just down with the kids ya know.. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    That would reduce the number of (dumb) people going to uni and so the (clever) people who do go should get no tuition costs.
    That'd be you stuffed then, wouldn't it?

Everyone should have the opportunity to gain skills to be better in life. Even the dumbest of the dumb. No one is saying they should waste their time trying to study quantum mechanics or saddling themselves with debt studying gender studies only to still end up packing boxes in a warehouse. But they should have a degree available to them that would make them useful to the rest of society.

I don't think the tuition fee setup is perfect, but it is acceptable. The major problem is the lack of accountability universities are held to over graduate prospects. Course places should be based on prospects, not just how many willing teenagers there are to sign up for a lifetime of debt to waste 3 years on something not worth the paper it's printed on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloated_utopia)
    then what will the not so academically successful do? what will the people that work at the 'bad' uni's do?
    Apprenticeships

ReputationRep:
    was a good troll thread?

ReputationRep:
    Universities used to be for the top 20%, and that's how it should be again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.