Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Well I'm planning to go out, I do drink and I will be making meals from home..
    Clubs usually charge £5-10 entry fee. Drinks price depend on where you live. I used to spend around £30-40 on meals for homecooked food but I never drank. I knew all the clubs plus taking a few pretty girls always meant free entry, so I was fine. So it's possible provided you're not an excessive drinker and clubber.

ReputationRep:
    if you live the proper student life you could live off about 20 max
    • Welcome Squad

i budget myself to £25 - £30 and manage it easily. the only time it goes over that is if i decide to eat out
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So hopefully I'll be off to Nottingham and altogether my student loan is about £7813. I've worked out that if I want to have decent savings at the end of the year I'll have to live off £55 a week. I'm slightly worried about course costs though, considering I'll be studying English and French so I'll need to buy loads of books.

I'm hoping to get a part time job at university but before I do start to, is it possible to live on £55 per week?
    If your student loan is that much you'll probably get a bursary on top of it.

It is possible but you'd be more comfortable with £60-80/week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    If your student loan is that much you'll probably get a bursary on top of it.

It is possible but you'd be more comfortable with £60-80/week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I checked and I don't think I do.

I can afford to budget myself at £60-80 a week. I just wouldn't have as much of a saving at the end though..

ReputationRep:
    So hopefully I'll be off to Nottingham and altogether my student loan is about £7813. I've worked out that if I want to have decent savings at the end of the year I'll have to live off £55 a week. I'm slightly worried about course costs though, considering I'll be studying English and French so I'll need to buy loads of books.

I'm hoping to get a part time job at university but before I do start to, is it possible to live on £55 per week?

Without a shadow of a doubt, you can easily live off £55 a week (assuming that figure is after rent). I've lived on less and done just fine. You should even be able to afford a decent social life if you'e clever about it (i.e pr-drinks if you plan to go out, not going into paid entry clubs and sticking to the more budget places).

As for buying books, I can't stress enough how much I recommend you don't buy all the books as soon as the reading list comes out. I know people who did this and literally wasted hundreds of pounds on books they either never used, or only used once or twice. Find out if you actually NEED it before you buy it.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I had no idea!!
    I meant it as that there are ways to get books on the internet without paying for them. Obviously paper copies are better but you can't really afford that. Also curious about what's taking so much of your money? You say you have 7.5k and term time is what 30 weeks? Are you gonna go back home when it's the holidays or are you going to stay there? How much of that are you actually trying to save?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call it life, but I guess you can manage to survive.

(Original post by Woeful)
    Are you joking ? £55 is shitloads, if you're not eating out and wasting money excessively you'll live very comfortably.
    "Shitholds" and "very comfortably" don't seem the proper terms here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    if you live the proper student life you could live off about 20 max
    That doesn't even start to cover food.

ReputationRep:

You should supplement that with begging next to that hobo ousside of Maccie Ds

ReputationRep:

If you really need to buy books, try some of the second hand sites. Fatbrain is very good. I've had books off Amazon for 1p secondhand, or you could ask on your uni page any students who have left and are willing to sell you books secondhand. I'm a pensioner and I have a grandson at college living with me and we survive on £150 a week before water, electricity, gas etc, come out so it i doable. Good luck with your studies. So pleased for you.x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    I hope you are joking. I'd rather suicide than have to budget on loo paper and live off vulgar crimes. Your peasantry knows no limits, not even the law.
    Relax captain killjoy, it's only the bog roll. :laugh:
    The uni won't even notice one disappearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravence)
    Relax captain killjoy, it's only the bog roll. :laugh:
    The uni won't even notice one disappearing
    It's still stealing even if they don't catch you.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't even start to cover food.
    I'm not so sure about that cause if you go to somewhere like Lidl and eat pretty basic stuff you wouldn't need to spend that much haha

ReputationRep:
    I hope you are joking. I'd rather suicide than have to budget on loo paper and live off vulgar crimes. Your peasantry knows no limits, not even the law.
    The more I read your posts, the more I suspect you actually live in a council house and went to ARU. The lady doth protest too much, sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    I'm not so sure about that cause if you go to somewhere like Lidl and eat pretty basic stuff you wouldn't need to spend that much haha
    Are you at uni? Because in theory it all sounds possible, but concretely trust me that it's not enough.

ReputationRep:
    I checked and I don't think I do.

I can afford to budget myself at £60-80 a week. I just wouldn't have as much of a saving at the end though..
    £55 should see you comfortably off at Uni - enough to do the things you want but not so much that you alienate your new friends and course mates by starting to suggest expensive days out and restaurant meals that no-one can afford but you.

Regarding books, I'm like you and it's always nicer to have your own copies of at least the key texts. But you can pick up second-hand books in essentially mint condition for very little on Amazon (I got a £125 biochemistry book for £28 last week) - so a mixture of buying second-hand (obviously good condition only), library and splashing out maybe on one or two new texts you can't find elsewhere should work nicely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    The more I read your posts, the more I suspect you actually live in a council house and went to ARU.
    I found out what council housing was on TSR and never heard about ARU.

ReputationRep:
    Dont buy NEW books!

Firstly you'll have a stonker University library with both a full range of relevant books, and access to heaps on online resources. If you do need to get your own copies of books then try Oxfam bookshops (usually a well stocked Classics and Literature section with books in good nick from 99p), Ebay, Amazon etc. Other good websites are World of Books, Abebooks, Alibris. You really do not need to spend heaps of ££ on brand new books, many of which you'll probably only read once.

ReputationRep:
    Yaaas ahsdhdhdh
    FYI, Just done a good shop this morning in Morrisons for a full week. Came to £17.54. That's not even at places like Lidl so I'm sure you'll be fine especially as you have serval large super markets on your door step

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.