Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To BCL offer holders and past students -

There's no recent thread (or I couldn't find one) discussing BCL options and professors. As an offer holder myself, I'd be interested to know how people are approaching/did approach the choice.

In particular, I've heard that some courses require much more work than others, and that it may be wise to go for a combination of heavier and lighter choices. It seems also true that some courses are quintessentially 'BCL courses', e.g. restitution or conflict of laws. Should one include at least one of these, on pain of being constantly asked why he would not pick them during interviews etc.?

Any ideas/comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caesar95)
    To BCL offer holders and past students -

There's no recent thread (or I couldn't find one) discussing BCL options and professors. As an offer holder myself, I'd be interested to know how people are approaching/did approach the choice.

In particular, I've heard that some courses require much more work than others, and that it may be wise to go for a combination of heavier and lighter choices. It seems also true that some courses are quintessentially 'BCL courses', e.g. restitution or conflict of laws. Should one include at least one of these, on pain of being constantly asked why he would not pick them during interviews etc.?

Any ideas/comments?
    You're on the wrong board for this question. Try here:

https://llm-guide.com/board/uk-irela...students-74424

There's some annoying posturing on that thread, but also some useful information. I assume the interviews you are referring to are for pupillages? I'm no barrister but I can't imagine every set is fixated on restitution and conficts. I'd say pick what you think you'll get the most out of - either because you enjoy it or it's an area you want to practise in (which ought to coincide for the most part).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estreth)
    You're on the wrong board for this question. Try here:

https://llm-guide.com/board/uk-irela...students-74424

There's some annoying posturing on that thread, but also some useful information. I assume the interviews you are referring to are for pupillages? I'm no barrister but I can't imagine every set is fixated on restitution and conficts. I'd say pick what you think you'll get the most out of - either because you enjoy it or it's an area you want to practise in (which ought to coincide for the most part).
    Thanks for replying! I had already checked that source, which however looked a bit dated (most of the discussion took place in 2012), and I created a new thread there which however got no replies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.