Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm moving into a flat with a landlord that I think may be dodgy but I don't have a lot of other options.

I lived with my boyfriend last year and was planning to live with him this year but we just recently broke up and now I need somewhere else.

Everyone else found a place (and flatmates) months ago and I don't have a lot of options (plus my budget is very tight and this landlord is not requesting a deposit).

Her ad was posted exclusively on student websites with no pictures, but it seemed to be a good price and in an excellent location.

I went to see the flat and it was amazing. Huge. Beautiful.

The woman, however, seemed a bit shifty. She was from Ghana and her English wasn't excellent and she seemed slightly off but I've lived abroad extensively and a lot of cultural differences are really just Brits being overly nice/polite and taking offense that other people aren't as polite as the Brits up front.

She was happy to answer questions and gave me a lot of valuable information about the place and the area.

However, her demeanour was rather cold and she refers to herself soley as Mrs XXX, never her first name (again, could be a cultural thing but still).

I asked to see the gas certificate, and she told me she'd bring it to the next viewing, but seemed slightly surprised/irritated that I'd asked.

What also made me slightly wary was after the second viewing, she told me there was a student living downstairs and a professional upstairs (I'd asked if the contract could be extended and she cited this as an example that: yes, it could be).

But I looked at the mail as I was walking out, and one was addressed to a gentleman with the same surname as her, and the other was to an also clearly Ghanaian name - which made me think there were only other family members of hers living there.

Of course, one may be a student and one may be a professional and there is nothing to indicate that the other Ghanaian would be a family member - but the way she spoke about them, made it look as if they weren't family members.

Also, the fact that she advertises only on student websites, despite not being a particularly studenty house, makes me think she may be looking for younger/more vulnerable people.

Now, of course, all this is speculative and I absolutely fell in love with the place and the location is PERFECT, so I really don't want to lose it.

It's good value for money and big enough to get all my stuff in (all the others I've seen are tiny and more expensive/less well located for someone like myself who doesn't drive). I REALLY want the place.

However, my question is: if she does turn out to be dodgy, yes, it will be a pain and unpleasant, but how much could it really affect my happiness if only for a year? It's not like I'll have to deal with her every day and I'll make sure the contract is right obviously before I sign it.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_89)
    So, I'm moving into a flat with a landlord that I think may be dodgy but I don't have a lot of other options.

I lived with my boyfriend last year and was planning to live with him this year but we just recently broke up and now I need somewhere else.

Everyone else found a place (and flatmates) months ago and I don't have a lot of options (plus my budget is very tight and this landlord is not requesting a deposit).

Her ad was posted exclusively on student websites with no pictures, but it seemed to be a good price and in an excellent location.

I went to see the flat and it was amazing. Huge. Beautiful.

The woman, however, seemed a bit shifty. She was from Ghana and her English wasn't excellent and she seemed slightly off but I've lived abroad extensively and a lot of cultural differences are really just Brits being overly nice/polite and taking offense that other people aren't as polite as the Brits up front.

She was happy to answer questions and gave me a lot of valuable information about the place and the area.

However, her demeanour was rather cold and she refers to herself soley as Mrs XXX, never her first name (again, could be a cultural thing but still).

I asked to see the gas certificate, and she told me she'd bring it to the next viewing, but seemed slightly surprised/irritated that I'd asked.

What also made me slightly wary was after the second viewing, she told me there was a student living downstairs and a professional upstairs (I'd asked if the contract could be extended and she cited this as an example that: yes, it could be).

But I looked at the mail as I was walking out, and one was addressed to a gentleman with the same surname as her, and the other was to an also clearly Ghanaian name - which made me think there were only other family members of hers living there.

Of course, one may be a student and one may be a professional and there is nothing to indicate that the other Ghanaian would be a family member - but the way she spoke about them, made it look as if they weren't family members.

Also, the fact that she advertises only on student websites, despite not being a particularly studenty house, makes me think she may be looking for younger/more vulnerable people.

Now, of course, all this is speculative and I absolutely fell in love with the place and the location is PERFECT, so I really don't want to lose it.

It's good value for money and big enough to get all my stuff in (all the others I've seen are tiny and more expensive/less well located for someone like myself who doesn't drive). I REALLY want the place.

However, my question is: if she does turn out to be dodgy, yes, it will be a pain and unpleasant, but how much could it really affect my happiness if only for a year? It's not like I'll have to deal with her every day and I'll make sure the contract is right obviously before I sign it.
    I've moved 4 times in 4 years and a bad landlord from my experience really can affect your happiness, i only managed to put up with one bad place for over a year and that was neighbours not a landlord.

ReputationRep:
    Having a bad landlord is a fuking nightmare. Trust your gut instinct - you have it for a reason.
    The letters at the door can be for loads of reasons e.g. this is the house they get junk mail sent to or they haven't updated their address yet so some mail gets sent to the house.
    To me she seems ok but it is based on how you feel at the end of the day

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.