The Student Room Group

Masters personal statement

I'm hoping to apply for a masters next year and I'm trying to get some ideas about my personal statement together.

I've just finished a degree which took me 7 years to complete, so I've got that going for me.

I'm really interested in the subject (Ancient Religions), but its not like I've sitting here reading academic texts for fun while I've been focussing on my degree, so I don't really have much evidence of that.

I've not done any relevant work experience, unless small teaching roles count as relevant to future plans?

I've taught myself musical instruments, but aside from showing I can study independently I'm not convinced its relevant. I've also studied various languages, but since I can't actually speak any of them, I just enjoy learning about them I'm reluctant to mention this too!

Does anybody have some ideas of relevant things to include?

Also, is there anything I can be doing over the next year to boost my personal statement?

I'd thought about doing some courses on FutureLearn, Coursers, or OpenLearn just to show I'm still academically inclined and interested in the subject outside of a qualification. That and some reading...does that sound like a good idea or is it too little too late?

Oh and I can't volunteer or work right now for health reasons, so that's out for the moment.

Masters PS requirements will vary from uni to uni and course to course. Some will want you to talk about your academic interests, whereas others may want you to talk about ideas for your dissertation. Look at what the guidance says on your specific uni and course website
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*
Masters PS requirements will vary from uni to uni and course to course. Some will want you to talk about your academic interests, whereas others may want you to talk about ideas for your dissertation. Look at what the guidance says on your specific uni and course website

Ok,. I looked on the course guide and they didn't give a great deal of information, I'll have to talk to the uni and ask when term starts up again. Thanks :smile:
I would concentrate on the challenges you overcame over the last seven years to get the degree (well done btw) - not rambling but sharp and focused. What you learned and why you are carrying on?. Be honest about work experience due to health and do some social work (via your church? helping in community care groups). Also, spend the time looking at ancient civilizations - going to visit those areas from Greece, Americas to India (- if that is possible)
Original post by qubitsforce
I would concentrate on the challenges you overcame over the last seven years to get the degree (well done btw) - not rambling but sharp and focused. What you learned and why you are carrying on?. Be honest about work experience due to health and do some social work (via your church? helping in community care groups). Also, spend the time looking at ancient civilizations - going to visit those areas from Greece, Americas to India (- if that is possible)

Actually any extenuating circumstances/difficulties should be mentioned by your referee
You need to learn how to write analytically and with economy.
What to include? Anything you think you can discuss as relevant experience, in any capacity, as long as it isn't too farfetched.

Remember, they dont give a damn what you did really. They are more interested in how you developed skills from it. Im currently applying for PhD's, and ive been doing A-level science tutoring online for 2 years. They couldnt care less about the fact I tutor science-they care that its developed my communication skills, to the point I can explain complex scientific ideas very simply to a range of people, on a range of topics-which is a huge plus for what i hope to go into.

So experiences to consider:
*done any volunteering for any significant period of time?
*Were you a member of any societies/groups/sports teams during your degree? Any roles on the committees of these groups?
*Elaborate on your "small teaching roles"-part of your degree or something you did outside of it?
*Done any weekend/part time work during your degree or during holidays? (you can even use something as simple as working in a shop/pub/restaurant to your effect if you really tried)

Quick Reply

Latest