Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello !
    I am having a big dilemma, and i cannot choose between greenwich or westminister for March in architecture. Any experiences?
    I have been offered a place at both, and i have sort of already accepted greenwich by email, but i am concidering the offer from westminsiter now since i have always wanted to study there. There is so litte information to find online about the architecturecourse at greenwich, do you guys have any tips?

Is it a good studio enviroment at greenwich, is it as conceptual as it seems?
    I am also having future jobs in the back of my head, and i am worried greenwich is not technological enough (saying that, i have studied art before architecture and i do enjoy the creative part).

Btw, i am coming from Oxford Brookes Architecture, which i was extremely happy with.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've moved this over into the Architecture and the Built Environment area of the site. I think you're more likely to get an informed response here than in the general postgraduate forum

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to go to either? Neither seem like a massive upgrade from Brookes (if any upgrade at all), and if you're going to being paying a premium to live in London why not apply to the Bartlett?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    Why do you want to go to either? Neither seem like a massive upgrade from Brookes (if any upgrade at all), and if you're going to being paying a premium to live in London why not apply to the Bartlett?
    I agree that they are not a massive upgrade from Brookes (however i heard a lot of the masters complain that the postgrad was not as good as the undergrad).

I was too late to apply this year, so i eliminated UCL (I also have a upper second, which i doubt they will accept). So of all the architecture uni's in London i found that Greenwich and Westminster's work to be very good. I have always heard of wesminster, however greenwich seems to be a bit 'shy', so I was hoping for some input

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jujula)
    I agree that they are not a massive upgrade from Brookes (however i heard a lot of the masters complain that the postgrad was not as good as the undergrad).

I was too late to apply this year, so i eliminated UCL (I also have a upper second, which i doubt they will accept). So of all the architecture uni's in London i found that Greenwich and Westminster's work to be very good. I have always heard of wesminster, however greenwich seems to be a bit 'shy', so I was hoping for some input
    Well, fair enough I suppose, however I wouldn't say you can't get in to the Bartlett for Part II with a 2.1. I know people who got interviews with 2.1s, and although none that I knew got in, some must have or they wouldn't bother interviewing them.

If you're dead-set on Greenwich or Westminster, I'd probably go for Westminster, both courses (at least when I was looking at Part II courses a few years ago) were quite "conceptual", but Westminster seems to be slightly more established. I also personally think Westminster is in a better location for meeting people after studio for drinks etc. given it's much more central location. The central location also means you could consider living basically anywhere in London, at Greenwich you'd be rather limited to south or southwest London. Westminster seems to have more of it's own thing going on too, Greenwich feels more like a poor mans Bartlett. That said I had a flick through Greenwich's book this year and there was some nice work in it, at least at face value.

Personally, I worked in London for two years prior to starting Part II at the Bartlett, so I already had had the "London experience" and knew I would no doubt be working in London after Part II as well. Thus had I not got into the Bartlett I was planning on going to either Cambridge, Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester or Cardiff, as I didn't really think it was worth paying a fortune to be a student in London otherwise. Like yourself I also went to a "new university" and wanted to experience a more traditional / established environment, although most people say this isn't relevant for architecture, I think it opens up some different opportunities outside the bubble of the architecture studio. By going to UCL I was able to see some really influential and inspiring speakers for example on a variety of topics (outside architecture) and I got involved in some computer science and bio-engineering projects I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Interesting that you say people felt Brookes was weaker at Part II, it seems to be a common theme with the non-London schools. I think a lot of people work in London for their year out and then want to stay in London (not really sure why, it's so expensive and you can always move back). This is reflected probably in the fact that at most London schools their Part II courses are much bigger cohorts than their Part I courses, where as the opposite is often true outside London.

If you are dead-set on London, Kingston and London Met are supposed to have good courses at Part II as well (not saying they are better than Westminster or Greenwich, but maybe worth considering if you haven't already). Although both universities leave a lot to be desired otherwise. Some of the units, especially unit 6 seem very interesting and different at Kingston.

Anyway I digress. Greenwich and Westminster are similar, go to where you think feels right.

Slightly rambling post, sorry.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.