Need some advice? Watch

username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I went to my GP about depression and I was referred for CBT. A therapist did an assessment of me and said my issues are too complex for CBT so she referred me to another service. After two months of hearing nothing I called up the therapy and asked where I had exactly been referred to. Turns out I was referred to eating disorders services! I'm very confused by this because I don't have any eating disorders and my depression is more of a problem for me than anything else. So why was I referred for an eating disorder? So I called up the eating disorders services and they said they haven't even received a referral for me. Then they told me to go to my GP and find out my height and weight.

Why would I do that though when it isn't an eating disorder that is making my life difficult? So how can I go get some help for my depression when I keep getting referred to random services for conditions I don't have?
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone? Really need some advice here.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have to be firm with your GP. GPs are generally quite sh*t at actually doing anything to help you, you actually have to explain to them firmly what is your wrong and how it is affecting your life. Next time you see your GP tell him that you would like to see a therapist or something, not the food disorder services, lol.
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by constantine2016)
So I went to my GP about depression and I was referred for CBT. A therapist did an assessment of me and said my issues are too complex for CBT so she referred me to another service. After two months of hearing nothing I called up the therapy and asked where I had exactly been referred to. Turns out I was referred to eating disorders services! I'm very confused by this because I don't have any eating disorders and my depression is more of a problem for me than anything else. So why was I referred for an eating disorder? So I called up the eating disorders services and they said they haven't even received a referral for me. Then they told me to go to my GP and find out my height and weight.

Why would I do that though when it isn't an eating disorder that is making my life difficult? So how can I go get some help for my depression when I keep getting referred to random services for conditions I don't have?
Either someone has made a mistake and you need to talk with your GP to get it rectified, or there is an eating disorder that they've diagnosed that maybe you just don't realise you have.

Diet plays an enormous role in mood, it's not inconceivable that there are dietary issues that may be contributing to your problem.

But talk to your GP and get it clarified. No one on here will have a clue beyond advising you to do that.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by constantine2016)

Go back to your GP and explain the issue. It may have been a mistake in paperwork or somebody may think you have an eating disorder. Discuss it with your GP and explain that you don't think you have an eating disorder. A lot of people do have them without realising it, but it's also possible for people to get it wrong.

You may also be able to phone up the place that referred you to the ED service to ask if you can amend it, but they may require another referral from your GP to do that. Seeing as the ED service doesn't have info on you it seems like it could have been a paperwork issue so it is worth talking to the service that supposedly sent you to the ED service.

Feel free to ask what's going on with referrals and appointments and why people are doing things.

Hope that helps. Sorry you're having these difficulties. If it's going to take a while to get sorted you may also want to see if you can access counselling through your school/ college/ uni. Might help you a bit in the meantime.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (60)
21.82%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (93)
33.82%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
21.45%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (27)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (36)
13.09%

Watched Threads