Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m 31 years old and I’m studying from the ground up (literally) with a view to going to medical school.

I’m currently undertaking IGCSEs (I did say 'ground up' lol) in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Italian, and Physics, and loving it. Once complete I will progress onto A-Levels or International Baccalaureate (I haven’t decided which) in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.

Many medical schools have stipulations regarding single exam sittings; i.e. not retakes. I was under the impression this related to A-Level exams only, but a friend-of-a-friend mentioned it can relate to GSCEs also, and it’s playing on my mind. My question is this: Will my IGCSEs count as a resit, even with a fifteen-year gap since my original scholastic exams? I did not do A-Levels.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apx86)
    I’m 31 years old and I’m studying from the ground up (literally) with a view to going to medical school.

I’m currently undertaking IGCSEs (I did say 'ground up' lol) in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Italian, and Physics, and loving it. Once complete I will progress onto A-Levels or International Baccalaureate (I haven’t decided which) in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.

Many medical schools have stipulations regarding single exam sittings; i.e. not retakes. I was under the impression this related to A-Level exams only, but a friend-of-a-friend mentioned it can relate to GSCEs also, and it’s playing on my mind. My question is this: Will my IGCSEs count as a resit, even with a fifteen-year gap since my original scholastic exams? I did not do A-Levels.
    I'm moving this to our medicine section where more people might be able to help but i would suggest contacting medical schools directly as they might consider that as second sittings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apx86)

It's hard to give you an accurate answer but most undergraduate courses do not accept retakes**, be it for GCSEs or A-levels. However, saying that there are certain medical schools ( ..such as Southampton) who will accept mature students retaking qualifications IN exceptional circumstances. And Barts and London who allow you to resit GCSEs during your A-levels.

**Some may accept one or two.

My best advice would be to send an email to as many medical universities as you can ( here is a list-
    http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...hools-A-Z.aspx) explaining your circumstances. If you really want to do medicine there is always a way to get in! Trust me, all it takes is determination and NEVER giving up!

On a side note- have you thought about studying medicine abroad? or doing graduate medicine as they don't often look at GCSE results?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.