The Student Room Group

"Single sitting" exam question

I’m 31 years old and I’m studying from the ground up (literally) with a view to going to medical school.

I’m currently undertaking IGCSEs (I did say 'ground up' lol) in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Italian, and Physics, and loving it. Once complete I will progress onto A-Levels or International Baccalaureate (I haven’t decided which) in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.

Many medical schools have stipulations regarding single exam sittings; i.e. not retakes. I was under the impression this related to A-Level exams only, but a friend-of-a-friend mentioned it can relate to GSCEs also, and it’s playing on my mind. My question is this: Will my IGCSEs count as a resit, even with a fifteen-year gap since my original scholastic exams? I did not do A-Levels.
Original post by apx86
I’m 31 years old and I’m studying from the ground up (literally) with a view to going to medical school.

I’m currently undertaking IGCSEs (I did say 'ground up' lol) in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics, Italian, and Physics, and loving it. Once complete I will progress onto A-Levels or International Baccalaureate (I haven’t decided which) in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.

Many medical schools have stipulations regarding single exam sittings; i.e. not retakes. I was under the impression this related to A-Level exams only, but a friend-of-a-friend mentioned it can relate to GSCEs also, and it’s playing on my mind. My question is this: Will my IGCSEs count as a resit, even with a fifteen-year gap since my original scholastic exams? I did not do A-Levels.

I'm moving this to our medicine section where more people might be able to help but i would suggest contacting medical schools directly as they might consider that as second sittings.
Original post by apx86

It's hard to give you an accurate answer but most undergraduate courses do not accept retakes**, be it for GCSEs or A-levels. However, saying that there are certain medical schools ( ..such as Southampton) who will accept mature students retaking qualifications IN exceptional circumstances. And Barts and London who allow you to resit GCSEs during your A-levels.

**Some may accept one or two.

My best advice would be to send an email to as many medical universities as you can ( here is a list-
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/UKMedicalSchools/Pages/UK-Medical-Schools-A-Z.aspx) explaining your circumstances. If you really want to do medicine there is always a way to get in! Trust me, all it takes is determination and NEVER giving up!

On a side note- have you thought about studying medicine abroad? or doing graduate medicine as they don't often look at GCSE results?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending