Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best places for young people to get a job Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Where are some good places for a 15 year old to get a job? I kinda want to work in a clothes shop or a supermarket.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Royal marine cadets. If you're 15 years and 9 months, then apply for the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    Is that the army? I won't join them ever.

ReputationRep:
    Restaurants are good, try front o house if you can as it's so much better than kitchen in my experience. If not, care homes are a good place to go looking, as well as hotels. Cafe's are hit and miss, but not bad overall. Farms often offer work. All these places it's best to go in with your cv, looks better that way and is quicker than an email. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammorgan99)
    Restaurants are good, try front o house if you can as it's so much better than kitchen in my experience. If not, care homes are a good place to go looking, as well as hotels. Cafe's are hit and miss, but not bad overall. Farms often offer work. All these places it's best to go in with your cv, looks better that way and is quicker than an email. Good luck
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking at a big brand (e.g. McDonald's/KFC/greggs) most of them hire after school leaving age, so you must have finished your GCSEs or equivalent for legal reasons (usually because of insurance and health/safety etc), however there are a few select ones that might hire you if you know where to look. The best chance you have is to pop your CV into every small or local business you can as these often don't have to wait until you're 16, unlike the big brands; local businesses will have a higher success rate for 15 year old applicants because of this. However, it depends on what type of town/village you live in as some have lots of independent businesses and others have very few - in my case there were very few independent businesses so I had to wait until I was 16 and I got a job in a big chain restaurant. If you don't want to wait that long, there's always babysitting, waitressing, dog walking or even tutoring. I know these can sometimes sound far fetched but many of my friends made lots of money babysitting, and anything will help you get experience as well!
    This was quite a long post so I'll summarise:
    - if you are past school leavers age (GCSEs over) look to big chains and small businesses
    - if you haven't finished GCSEs yet and there are some where you live, hand your CV into local businesses (which often don't actively advertise jobs)
    - if you haven't finished GCSEs yet and there isnt any luck with local businesses, then try babysitting/dog walking/something you can manage yourself rather than having a 'boss'
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by &eco)
    Hi. Where are some good places for a 15 year old to get a job? I kinda want to work in a clothes shop or a supermarket.

Thanks.
    If you're looking at a big brand (e.g. Tesco, Sainsburys, new look, McDonald's) most of them hire after school leaving age, so you must be 16 and/or have finished your GCSEs or equivalent for legal reasons (usually because of insurance and health/safety and laws on working hours).
    The best chance you have is to pop your CV into every small or local business you can such as local cafes, restaurants (not the big chain ones) as these often will hire people under 16.
    You could also try a paper round. They might not be the best, but its something for now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.