Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with geography admissions test for cambridge Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what sort of mark is 'normal' and what I should be aiming for. I am. Currently getting just under 50% and don't seem to be improving. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried using Crayola crayons instead of the standard brand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Have you tried using Crayola crayons instead of the standard brand?
    I haven't!! Thanks so much for the help. I will try it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppjk)
    I haven't!! Thanks so much for the help. I will try it now.
    Always here for ya.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I took the GAA last year (and got an offer )

Yes, it's meant to be hard, and 50% is a respectable score. I only started looking at the GAA two weeks before I took it (as it requires no "revision" per se), so you're very prepared! They don't tell us what our results were from the assessment, so I can't tell you exactly how well I did in the real thing. But when I was preparing, I probably averaged around 50-60%. I didn't do much of my practice in timed conditions, which I regret somewhat. The maths questions were hard for me, whereas I was much better at the English questions.

I made the attached document last year when I was taking it, I hope it's somewhat useful. In the "TSA" section, you'll see the 5 types of question they ask, and what I tried to do in order to solve each one. Some stuff in the document is brief/might not make sense, so feel free to ask about things i've written.

Bear in mind that, during the actual timed exam, you're quite nervous (or, at least, I was) and I didn't think much about my preparative techniques anyway :P

Also, you might want to save some of the past paper/specimen questions for closer to the exam - you might run out if you do them all now.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx GAA.docx (24.6 KB, 53 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inister)
    Hi,

I took the GAA last year (and got an offer )

Yes, it's meant to be hard, and 50% is a respectable score. I only started looking at the GAA two weeks before I took it (as it requires no "revision" per se), so you're very prepared! They don't tell us what our results were from the assessment, so I can't tell you exactly how well I did in the real thing. But when I was preparing, I probably averaged around 50-60%. I didn't do much of my practice in timed conditions, which I regret somewhat. The maths questions were hard for me, whereas I was much better at the English questions.

I made the attached document last year when I was taking it, I hope it's somewhat useful. In the "TSA" section, you'll see the 5 types of question they ask, and what I tried to do in order to solve each one. Some stuff in the document is brief/might not make sense, so feel free to ask about things i've written.

Bear in mind that, during the actual timed exam, you're quite nervous (or, at least, I was) and I didn't think much about my preparative techniques anyway :P

Also, you might want to save some of the past paper/specimen questions for closer to the exam - you might run out if you do them all now.

Wowww!! Thanks so much for your help! Seriously that was so useful. I do not know anyone who applied for or is applying for geography at Cambridge so that's amazing. What college did you apply to? If you took it last year are you there now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppjk)
    Wowww!! Thanks so much for your help! Seriously that was so useful. I do not know anyone who applied for or is applying for geography at Cambridge so that's amazing. What college did you apply to? If you took it last year are you there now?
    Yeah, I was the only one in a sixth form of 1600 students, and not many people on TSR applied for it either.

I have just finished my A2 exams - if I get the grades then I will be going in October, so I'm not there just yet I applied to Homerton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inister)
    Yeah, I was the only one in a sixth form of 1600 students, and not many people on TSR applied for it either.

I have just finished my A2 exams - if I get the grades then I will be going in October, so I'm not there just yet I
    applied to Homerton.
    Good luck. Hope all goes well. I'm thinking of applying to gonville and caius. What made you choose homerton?

ReputationRep:
    o
    (Original post by ppjk)
    Good luck. Hope all goes well. I'm thinking of applying to gonville and caius. What made you choose homerton?
    Thanks - I considered Caius when applying, alongside Corpus and St Catharine's. I chose Homerton in the end because it had: a "relaxed" atmosphere (as opposed to more competitive colleges like St Johns or Trinity), a large student base, a good gender ratio, academics/tutors with similar interests to me, its more "distant" location away from tourist-central, and I liked its aesthetics.

Also, they didn't require me to send in an essay prior to admission (although I ended up having to write one in the GAA anyway)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppjk)
    I was just wondering what sort of mark is 'normal' and what I should be aiming for. I am. Currently getting just under 50% and don't seem to be improving. Any tips?
    Tagging Forecast who, I think, has collated some info for all the admissions assessments.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to Doonesbury for the tag - here's the distribution of marks for the 2016 Geography Section 1 admissions assessment.

Name:  GAA2016.png
Views: 99
Size:  5.4 KB

Important notes:

• The 'grade' is a score from 1.0 to 9.0 which indicates how well you scored on that part compared to all of the other candidates taking the assessment. The scores were distributed in such as way that the average candidate scored 4.0.
    • These results are just one part of the your overall assessment as an applicant - and because they are new, many colleges will be treating them with caution. Depending on what the rest of your application looks like, you could easily be made an offer with a below-average result. Similarly, someone with the top mark in both parts is in no way a shoe-in.
    • The score conversion applies only to the 2016 paper, not to the specimen paper or to any future papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    Thanks to Doonesbury for the tag - here's the distribution of marks for the 2016 Geography Section 1 admissions assessment.

Important notes:

• The 'grade' is a score from 1.0 to 9.0 which indicates how well you scored on that part compared to all of the other candidates taking the assessment. The scores were distributed in such as way that the average candidate scored 4.0.
    • These results are just one part of the your overall assessment as an applicant - and because they are new, many colleges will be treating them with caution. Depending on what the rest of your application looks like, you could easily be made an offer with a below-average result. Similarly, someone with the top mark in both parts is in no way a shoe-in.
    • The score conversion applies only to the 2016 paper, not to the specimen paper or to any future papers.
    Thanks so much
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    These results are just one part of the your overall assessment as an applicant - and because they are new, many colleges will be treating them with caution. Depending on what the rest of your application looks like, you could easily be made an offer with a below-average result. Similarly, someone with the top mark in both parts is in no way a shoe-in
    (Original post by ppjk)
    Thanks so much
    This bit is the most important part. No one thing is more important than anything else - it really is all holistically assessed.

ReputationRep:

Important notes:

@Forecast Where did you find the data for this table?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afewquestions)
    @Forecast Where did you find the data for this table?
    http://bit.ly/2016ScoreConversion

ReputationRep:
    Thank you @Forecast

Where online did you find this document?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afewquestions)
    Thank you @Forecast

Where online did you find this document?
    The information was released by Cambridge Assessment (who set and mark the multiple-choice papers) in response to an FOI request: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ew_assessments

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.