Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did a foundatuon degree 8 years ago for which i received 2 years student finace. I didnt finish the course due to illness but only missed my last couple of modules and still received a certificate of higher education. I never told the uni i was ill or was leaving, like an idiot, i just stopped going and soon after got a full time job as i had no source of income. Recently i have been accepted onto a new course which is 2 years foundation with an optional third year which I am desperate to do. I have applied for student finance but have been told (over the phone) that i will not get any tuition loans. I have applied for extenuating circumstances but the letter off my doctor is very vague as they cannot find any record of my illness (which was mumps)they only have a record that i was checked into hospital and have also asked my old uni to contact sf but as i never told them of my ilIness they can only confirm dates for me. I cannot afford to self fund and i think it is very unjust to miss out on education due to finance, I believe I am entitled to at least another two years student finance but I am at a loose end as to what to do and i am desperate for some advice as to what to do or even an explanation as to why they wont give me any finace. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee151287)
    I did a foundatuon degree 8 years ago for which i received 2 years student finace. I didnt finish the course due to illness but only missed my last couple of modules and still received a certificate of higher education. I never told the uni i was ill or was leaving, like an idiot, i just stopped going and soon after got a full time job as i had no source of income. Recently i have been accepted onto a new course which is 2 years foundation with an optional third year which I am desperate to do. I have applied for student finance but have been told (over the phone) that i will not get any tuition loans. I have applied for extenuating circumstances but the letter off my doctor is very vague as they cannot find any record of my illness (which was mumps)they only have a record that i was checked into hospital and have also asked my old uni to contact sf but as i never told them of my ilIness they can only confirm dates for me. I cannot afford to self fund and i think it is very unjust to miss out on education due to finance, I believe I am entitled to at least another two years student finance but I am at a loose end as to what to do and i am desperate for some advice as to what to do or even an explanation as to why they wont give me any finace. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I believe the moon is made of cheese but that doesn't mean it's true.

There's limited amounts of money to go round. Some people want students to have more. Some people want to increase pensions. Others want more free childcare, or more money to the NHS, or council run bus services and subsidised travel. But there isn't enough money for everything to be possible. So it's been decided that if someone doesn't finish a course and can't prove it was for a good reason, they can't have more funding. They can't throw money at students indefinitely.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee151287)
    You're entitled to length of course + 1 - previous years study. Partial years count as full years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.