Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Honorary Degree Assessment Watch

Announcements

I have been bullied by university and there's now written confirmation that the university is responsible for my I'll health. Now my next question is that I can't remember a thing about my studies. I cannot even understand what I have written. So, what are the chances that I could argue for a case so that the university examines the notes I have rather than a proper thesis to see if a doctorate would have been awarded? My argument is that the university has caused my illness, and so although only 3 months remaining, I'm not able to complete. But if my draft work actually contains enough content for an award, it should be acknowledged, despite it's unconventional format.any thought on these?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Two things strike me here:

1. You mention a doctorate, so I assume you're studying for a PhD. If there's only three months until your submission date, you should surely have most of the prose finished by now, as opposed to just having notes? I don't know much about these things but given you should have between 50,000- 100,000 words (depending on what discipline you are) fully drafted by now, I don't imagine notes would cut it at this late stage :dontknow:

2. If you have suffered ill health (regardless of who or what caused it), that should be considered reasonable grounds for an extension. Would it not be better to get an extension on the deadline, or interrupt your studies on grounds of ill health, and use that time to actually write your thesis?

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Two things strike me here:

1. You mention a doctorate, so I assume you're studying for a PhD. If there's only three months until your submission date, you should surely have most of the prose finished by now, as opposed to just having notes? I don't know much about these things but given you should have between 50,000- 10,000 words (depending on what discipline you are) fully drafted by now, I don't imagine notes would cut it at this late stage :dontknow:

2. If you have suffered ill health (regardless of who or what caused it), that should be considered reasonable grounds for an extension. Would it not be better to get an extension on the deadline, or interrupt your studies on grounds of ill health, and use that time to actually write your thesis?
    Exactly. Get an extension or see about doing the year again. Applying for an "honorary" degree is pathetic.

(Original post by Tootles)
    Exactly. Get an extension or see about doing the year again. Applying for an "honorary" degree is pathetic.
    The events were extreme stress, and healthcare folks even encouraged me to drop the PhD and to move on. But then I had more than 10 publications, had extra funding to enlarge the project, and gone as far as having everything written in note form for supervisors to check the analysis and conclusion. Some are in written chapters. some are in less well formatted documents in units or chunks of analysis and the detail of conclusion it would support. Then I got badly interrupted... Now in litigation, but I don't even remember details of the wrong. The only thing I have is the document I produced at first complaint. Very distressing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.