Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions which keep you up at night? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Thanks. He's just signed on the dole and is going to look for a job. He was supposed to be going directly into Year 2 at Uni but has realised he doesn't want to. Everyone else will have already been there for a year and made their friendship groups. He had a horrible time on the last year of his Health and Social Care HND [ only worth 120 credits not 240], where all his friends left after the first year and all the girls left on the course completely ignored him for the entire year. Wee nasty b itches. He's shy and very sensitive and he had to go into college every day being completely ignored by everyone. Said he doesn't want to ever experience anything like that again. He thinks it will happen at uni too as he will be the newcomer and the outsider. It's very sad that's he's prepared to not get a degree at all rather than the possibility of that happening all over again, and miles away from home. We are from Manchester originally [ moved when he was 2] but we live in Northern Ireland.
    Hey sorry for my late reply, it all happens for a reason! I hope he gets into another uni, hopefully one with a better rep than Manchester Met since he deserves it! I wouldn’t be too worried about him not getting with girls at Manchester met, they’re hardly the ambition hard working kind. Hope that wasn’t too rude but encourage him to apply somewhere else, he shouldn’t give up because of some petty girls, I don’t think that’d happen anywhere else, sorry to hear I really do hope it works out

Has he considered a uni in NI?

ReputationRep:
    Can I afford my rent? What the heck am I going to do with my life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Hey sorry for my late reply, it all happens for a reason! I hope he gets into another uni, hopefully one with a better rep than Manchester Met since he deserves it! I wouldn’t be too worried about him not getting with girls at Manchester met, they’re hardly the ambition hard working kind. Hope that wasn’t too rude but encourage him to apply somewhere else, he shouldn’t give up because of some petty girls, I don’t think that’d happen anywhere else, sorry to hear I really do hope it works out

Has he considered a uni in NI?
    Queen's University Belfast don't do the course, and Ulster University want a Merit profile for his HND. He will only get a Pass as he hasn't even handed in all his Assignments yet and they have given him until 15th August. In any event the Ulster course is Health and Social Care Policy and he hated the campus at Jordanstown [ I wasn't too impressed either], and he doesn't like the sound of their course at all. We've been looking at the Dublin Institute of Technology, to see if maybe he can start all over again in the first year, of an Early Childhood Education degree. Unlike most ROI degrees which last for 4 years[ because of a foundation year] this course only last for 3 years. But don't think he will be eligible for funding for the first year. The Tuition fees are 700 and something Euros for each year, and you also pay a contribution 3,000 Euros on something called the Free Fees Initiative. [ Although that hardly makes it free. But it's a damn sight more than £9,250 a year]. Plus Dublin is only 1 hour away from where we live. He wasn't bothered so much that he did't get with any girls. Everyone else on the course was a girl. They all completely ignored him and didn't speak to him at all for the entire year. He sat on his own and it must have been utterly crap. I kind of forced him to do that year as I thought what use would a HNC be. Not knowing for certain if he was ever going to want to go to Uni one day I thought having an HND would be far more useful. But his horrible experience of being completely ignored for a whole year has put him off from ever wanting to experience that again. He refuses to go into the second year when everyone else around him all started together in the first year. He told me yesterday that he would really like the whole uni experience but that he would rather never in his life get a degree than go straight into the second year and potentially go through all that again. I would imagine being a long way from home would exacerbate any situation like that even more too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.