Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What have you done today to look after your mental health and well-being? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I went for a very long walk and did some colouring in the park
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Kindred)
    Do try some sort of support yeah. I found my drs a bit useless, but with enough nagging I got referred to a psych who was really helpful. I found group therapy way better than counselling. I have bad feelings towards a specific counsellor and always found counselling in general just dragged stuff up and left it. Therapy was more productive for me.
    Exercise is great for clearing your head. People often take up running or cycling to clear their heads.
    :hugs:Just remember that thinking poorly of yourself is an issue for most mh issues so it's probably you who has the wonky view of yourself and all the other nice comments are true.
    :hugs: thank you for this response (sorry for editing my OP just used to posting stuff like that anon )
    sorry to be annoying but what is the difference between therapy and counselling? i dont feel like i could really do it in a group though
    it really is, especially in the rain

sorry for derailing this thread a bit
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    :hugs: thank you for this response (sorry for editing my OP just used to posting stuff like that anon )
    sorry to be annoying but what is the difference between therapy and counselling? i dont feel like i could really do it in a group though
    it really is, especially in the rain

sorry for derailing this thread a bit
    No worries. It's not an obvious difference. Basically counselling tends to be more talking and counsellors generally have less training while therapy is a bit more constructive and has more direction and therapists tend to be more well trained and have better knowledge of mh conditions and support techniques. So essentially in therapy you're more likely to get advice and direction while counselling is more of a space to vent.
    You also get different types of therapy with more focused methods (a lot will be mixed method though) like CBT which looks at thought patterns and behaviours and psychotherapy which is more exploring your feelings and venting.
    I thought I would hate group, but actually I prefer it to one-on-one. Because there are more people there all with their own stuff it feels less targeted at you and you also feel a bit like part of a group and less alone. It's all about finding what works for you though. Some people prefer group and some people prefer one-to-one.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I bought a new bed and couch :yep: decorating my flat is giving me a hobby and interest and I think a change of scenery in the flat will help my mood :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not been very well this week and not been eating very much, just starting to recover now and gonna treat myself to a Domino's to get some calories back into myself Hopefully I'll feel good afterwards.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Kindred)
    No worries. It's not an obvious difference. Basically counselling tends to be more talking and counsellors generally have less training while therapy is a bit more constructive and has more direction and therapists tend to be more well trained and have better knowledge of mh conditions and support techniques. So essentially in therapy you're more likely to get advice and direction while counselling is more of a space to vent.
    You also get different types of therapy with more focused methods (a lot will be mixed method though) like CBT which looks at thought patterns and behaviours and psychotherapy which is more exploring your feelings and venting.
    I thought I would hate group, but actually I prefer it to one-on-one. Because there are more people there all with their own stuff it feels less targeted at you and you also feel a bit like part of a group and less alone. It's all about finding what works for you though. Some people prefer group and some people prefer one-to-one.
    Thank you for all your help Kindred :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I slept in until midday today and I'm going to have a day in bed just chilling and watching movies as important as it is to go out, its equally important to make sure you have days in when you can just relax and take it easy :yep: I need that after all that walking around Ikea yesterday :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feeling like I have no friends, no prospects and definitely no money. I would feel better if I could name one person that cares about me. If anyone has any ways of coping please help. Think I need counselling but cant go about it alone.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliviaRose98!)
    Feeling like I have no friends, no prospects and definitely no money. I would feel better if I could name one person that cares about me. If anyone has any ways of coping please help. Think I need counselling but cant go about it alone.
    Hi there. Sorry you're not feeling great. I think counselling sounds like a great idea. If you're at school/ college/ uni you should be able to access counselling through them. Obviously it's the holidays at the moment though so you will have to wait to do that.
    In the meantime you can check out the samaritans email service which is good for getting things out. You can also visit mind.org and sane.org. Sane.org also has some sort of online counselling service, but I'm not sure quite what it is. Worth taking a look though. (maybe that could be a thing you do for yourself today)

I would also suggest you consider seeing your GP. They can give you advice and also help yo access some NHS services like therapy if you need it. It also helps to have seen a doctor if you want your school/ college/ uni to help you at all.

Hope that helps
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Today I've been inspired by this tread and I'm going to do something. I'm never good at getting clothes put away so I'm going to do that. I'll also be going to pick my bf up from work so that will be doing a thing and getting out the house.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I made a meal from scratch today instead of getting a takeaway. Trying to eat a bit healthier :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -Spent over an hour playing with my synthesiser, it was one of the best purchases I've ever made, I could spent a lifetime with it.

-About to go for a 1:30 hr walk, then I'm going to watch a movie called It Follows

-Some point in the evening I will go on the exercise bike for 4-5 miles.

-The evening will consist of either researching into some topic that I like or continuing to binge watch American Horror Story
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    **** all
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I had a clear out on FB :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've actually properly for once! Two meals so far
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Went to the park and just had a long walk around the lake. Very relaxing

ReputationRep:
    Bought a watch which I guess improved my mental state somewhat

But now I realised I have tiny wrists and I'm afraid that it won't fit 😨

Came home early instead of going out longer, was in pain and wasn't feeling it
    had a nap instead
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Not doing good today with compulsions. I was planning to stay home and that would mean I'd end up giving into every compulsion but instead, I'm going to meet my mum in town. Hoping that takes my mind off them for a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I went out and did stuff and today I will be letting myself re-charge and maybe making a nice meal rather than oven food.

Have a good day Spock's Socks Hope your plan works

edit: I may or may not have tagged the wrong person to start with

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.