The Student Room Group

Teacher struck off for sex with pupil on plan

Physics teacher 28 had sex with sixth form pupil on plane inside toilet (they went bareback). Thoughts?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4734594/Female-physics-teacher-joined-Mile-High-club-pupil.html#comments

Scroll to see replies

I love how you included the bareback comment in brackets.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I love how you included the bareback comment in brackets.

:five:

I couldn't work out whether it was because 'bareback' was crucial information necessary to the plot but slightly ancillary, or whether it was a salacious aside.
no proof. im sure she knows sex is bad for sixth formers
Original post by Reality Check
:five:

I couldn't work out whether it was because 'bareback' was crucial information necessary to the plot but slightly ancillary, or whether it was a salacious aside.

I'm trying to work out whether she was struck off because it was on a plane. Perhaps if she had waited until getting home she would still be in a job.
Original post by jennyhumphrey
no proof. im sure she knows sex is bad for sixth formers

Her conduct, and the way in which she attempted to cover it up and hush the child involved has led to her being banned with no possibility of a review. In other words the paedo slapper has been banned from the profession permanently. Apparently she was more concerned with her future career and reputation than she was the harm she'd caused to the children concerned.

She taught at Bristol Technology College - they tried to suppress details of the school being leaked, but this was pretty futile.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/633112/Wilson_E_-_S_of_S_decision_-_non_restricted.pdf
Original post by Good bloke
I'm trying to work out whether she was struck off because it was on a plane. Perhaps if she had waited until getting home she would still be in a job.

Or was it because she was in Club and the kids were in Economy - a breach of Turning Left.
Well in.
The comments on the article are pretty disturbing. The majority seems to think because the students were over the age of 16 it was legal and okay - when did people become so daft :s-smilie:
Original post by Nathan Scott
The comments on the article are pretty disturbing. The majority seems to think because the students were over the age of 16 it was legal and okay - when did people become so daft :s-smilie:

Wouldn't expect anything less from Daily Mail readers
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't understand what the problem is. There is nothing wrong with getting a bit frisky with a hot older woman.
Original post by Mathemagicien
The age of consent is 16 in the UK, but only for partners 16-18. A bit of confusion is understandable tbh.

Not quite. The age of consent is 16, unless the older person is in a position of trust (e.g. a teacher) when it is 18.
The age of consent is 16 in the UK, but only for partners 16-18. A bit of confusion is understandable tbh.
I've just gone and read the Sexual Offences Act and that stipulation isn't there at all. Try again.
From http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42

Child sex offences
9Sexual activity with a child

(1)A person aged 18 or over (A) commits an offence if—

----(a)he intentionally touches another person (B),

----(b)the touching is sexual, and

----(c)either—

--------(i)B is under 16 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 16 or over, or

--------(ii)B is under 13.

Try again.
Which means that if an over-18 has sex (or engages in any kind of sexual activity) with an under-16, an offence (namely sexual abuse of a child) has occurred. An under-18 can't sexually abuse a child because said under-18 is a child theirself; the offence of which they are guilty is simply sexual abuse.

Are you keeping up?

That's true generally speaking but she is a teacher and therefore in a position of trust
Original post by Tootles
Which means that if an over-18 has sex (or engages in any kind of sexual activity) with an under-16, an offence (namely sexual abuse of a child) has occurred. An under-18 can't sexually abuse a child because said under-18 is a child theirself; the offence of which they are guilty is simply sexual abuse.

Are you keeping up?

You're broadly right, however their being a child doesn't preclude them from having sexually activity with a child. They still commit the offence under section 9 by virtue of section 13. It's simply with a different sentencing cap. Children who commit a section 9 offence face a 5-year max sentence, whereas someone 18+ would be susceptible to a 14-year max sentence.

There being a relationship only becomes relevant for indecent images of someone aged 16, 17 (s45). Having indecent images of someone below 18 is illegal, unless the child is 16+ and you are "married" to the child or you and the child "lived together as partners in an enduring family relationship".

The law in this area is hugely complicated and, I daresay, outdated.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You're broadly right, however their being a child doesn't preclude them from having sexually activity with a child. They still commit the offence under section 9 by virtue of section 13. It's simply with a different sentencing cap. Children who commit a section 9 offence face a 5-year max sentence, whereas someone 18+ would be susceptible to a 14-year max sentence.

There being a relationship only becomes relevant for indecent images of someone aged 16, 17 (s45). Having indecent images of someone below 18 is illegal, unless the child is 16+ and you are "married" to the child or you and the child "lived together as partners in an enduring family relationship".

The law in this area is hugely complicated and, I daresay, outdated.
I thought, for one thing, that they didn't have to necessarily be married but simply be in a committed relatonship - and for another, that that specific law had been repealed/superceded and no longer is in effect...? Weiss nicht, I'm not a lawyer :lol:

The point with the difference between the two crime definitions is exactly the punishment, AFAIK. It's done that way to allow for more lenient sentencing if it's an under-eighteen and an under-sixteen.
Original post by Tootles
I thought, for one thing, that they didn't have to necessarily be married but simply be in a committed relatonship - and for another, that that specific law had been repealed/superceded and no longer is in effect...? Weiss nicht, I'm not a lawyer :lol:

The point with the difference between the two crime definitions is exactly the punishment, AFAIK. It's done that way to allow for more lenient sentencing if it's an under-eighteen and an under-sixteen.

Married or committed relationship. I did use the word or in there! But I appreciate it was slightly wordy. Marriage is specifically mentioned in the section and the quotation marked text is verbatim.

That law is still good law, according to legislation.gov and the CPS website.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Married or committed relationship. I did use the word or in there! But I appreciate it was slightly wordy. Marriage is specifically mentioned in the section and the quotation marked text is verbatim.

That law is still good law, according to legislation.gov and the CPS website.
Aah I thought you meant literally married. It's been a while since I read it, haha.

And fair enough - I thought I'd read somewhere that it had been superceded a few years ago is all.
Original post by Tootles
Aah I thought you meant literally married. It's been a while since I read it, haha.

And fair enough - I thought I'd read somewhere that it had been superceded a few years ago is all.

I know, you got me worried there.

I was trying to come here and clear everything up, and then thinking half of what I am saying is wrong anyway. Thanks for getting me worried!

Quick Reply

Latest