Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will eating unhealthily for 3 days have much of an effect? Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For the whole of July, I have been restricting my food intake and have barely touched any junk foods. However, for the past 3 days, I have eaten quite a lot of unhealthy foods. For example, today I have had about two handfuls worth of 'pick n mix' after my dinner. Now my stomach looks quite podgy.

What effect will doing this for 3 consecutive days have on my body/weight?
    Will it be easy to reverse what I have done quickly?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    In the short term it may have some very minor effect, though you are most likely to simply feel fatter due to the feeling being one you've presumably not had in a while. Beyond that, it won't make any meaningful difference at all and any gain can be reversed very swiftly by a few days eating at a deficit. The occasional binge has no meaningful effect on long-term fat loss, and such variations in diet are a normal part of living your life.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't think 3 days will have done any damage. Weeks at a time maybe, but not a few days.

Exercise is also important, eating well goes hand in hand with exercise. At university my diet was somewhere between dreadful and passable, but I usually walked for about 4 hours a day, so I like to think the damage was limited...

ReputationRep:
    You can't put on any appreciable amount of fat on in 3 days. If you feel thrumpier it's likely due to water retention cause by high sodium/salt intake, which is temporary.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, that's like not going to the gym for 3 days. Not much is gunna happen.

ReputationRep:
    3 days won't have an impact on anything you're trying to do in that respect. If you feel you've gained weight, it's because the majority of unhealthy food either contains high amounts of sugar and sodium - sugary foods contain water and sodium causes the body to hold onto it. This is what bloats us out when we eat a lot of junk food.

This is water weight, and will be sweated and excreted out in no time - anything like bloating that came quickly will go quickly, too.

I'd also like to congratulate you on staying dedicated to a healthy diet, too!

I've recently written an e-Book on this @ thedietresolution.com

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.