Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I started my maths four year degree with mmu 2015/2016 first year of foundation year + 3year normal degree. its a four year course. after finishing foundation year i got 86 perc overall and decided to go manchester uni to do actual degree and coz of death in family and mother being ill couldnt concentrate on studies and failed the year. now i want to transfer back to mmu to repeat year 1 and do my degree here. The problem is student finance is saying they will pay me for 3 years if i go back on the same 4 year course with entry for year one instead of year 0. but mmu is saying people who want to start on year 1 they need to go on normal bsc mathematics. They cant transfer back to foundation year degree unless they are starting from foundation year. I cant afford to pay for my fee from my pocket. as i m jobless and husband is the one paying all the bills already. i have been looking for jobs for past 3 months but no success. can anyone advice me please.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Aily M)
    Hi everyone. I started my maths four year degree with mmu 2015/2016 first year of foundation year + 3year normal degree. its a four year course. after finishing foundation year i got 86 perc overall and decided to go manchester uni to do actual degree and coz of death in family and mother being ill couldnt concentrate on studies and failed the year. now i want to transfer back to mmu to repeat year 1 and do my degree here. The problem is student finance is saying they will pay me for 3 years if i go back on the same 4 year course with entry for year one instead of year 0. but mmu is saying people who want to start on year 1 they need to go on normal bsc mathematics. They cant transfer back to foundation year degree unless they are starting from foundation year. I cant afford to pay for my fee from my pocket. as i m jobless and husband is the one paying all the bills already. i have been looking for jobs for past 3 months but no success. can anyone advice me please.
    Having broken it down

SFE said you can transfer back to year 1 @MMU, which is where you would have gone into before you left. Why is this a bad thing and why would you want to go back to foundation year as you have already passed that? What is wrong with BSC Maths? Am I missing something or have you explained it incorrectly or I misread?

Why would you want to transfer back to MMU when MU s a much netter uni? Presumably you didnt like MU which is fine.

You can attempt to get the year @ MU disregarded if you put in a compelling personal reasons claim based on the bereavement and illness although it would have to be close family member or serious illness plus you will need supporting evidence from your GP or other professional about how it affected your studies.

You can read about CPR claims here.

Do note I suspect either your explanation or my reading of the situation is incorrect as i cant see the problem.

https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/doc...y-payments.pdf

If you dont know what to do then go and see a student advisor.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.