Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A question for muslims on here concerning relationships Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Yeah that's true. I can be certain of one thing, if his parents are as strict as you say they are then this will not end well for him.
    honestly they seem extremely strict. it's scary how he's able to act completely sober at times as the fear of his parents knowing he's drunk is too much to handle
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    honestly they seem extremely strict. it's scary how he's able to act completely sober at times as the fear of his parents knowing he's drunk is too much to handle
    It's like living a double life. The longer it will go on, the harder it will be for him to get out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    ok so a good friend of mine is from a muslim family and I'm aware his parents are rather strict like he isn't allowed to go out to clubs or drink ect and so he's grown up doing things behind their bank and lying, but anyways he has recently entered a relationship with a white atheist, who goes to his uni

what do you think will happen in the long run like if he wants to marry this girl; will his parents disown him... I'm just a bit confused about it really cause i care about him so idk whether he's made a bit of a mistake here and surely it could just end in major drama if his parents were to find out what he's been doing with this girl...
    no plot twist ; I'm another white atheist who wishes she was dating him
    You couldn't know what the parents would do until they find out, but if they're that strict then it's likely that they're reactions will be quite harsh. Also if he has entered a relationship, wishing you were dating him will kill you inside; it's a horrible, horrible feeling.

ReputationRep:
    They'd **** him up tbh. Worse for being white too, can't have their precious good Muslim son being poisoned by evil western values. What a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    You couldn't know what the parents would do until they find out, but if they're that strict then it's likely that they're reactions will be quite harsh. Also if he has entered a relationship, wishing you were dating him will kill you inside; it's a horrible, horrible feeling.
    yep it hurts me cause he only sees me as a friend but I see him as much more than that and also the girl is a good friend of mine too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    They'd **** him up tbh. Worse for being white too, can't have their precious good Muslim son being poisoned by evil western values. What a joke
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    It's like living a double life. The longer it will go on, the harder it will be for him to get out.
    heh and unfortunately e it's just become the norm for him ... at home he does everything he's told and now when he's at uni he's a full blown party animal sleeping with a western girl. god knows what he's thinking regarding this situation it must be rather depressing
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    heh and unfortunately e it's just become the norm for him ... at home he does everything he's told and now when he's at uni he's a full blown party animal sleeping with a western girl. god knows what he's thinking regarding this situation it must be rather depressing
    Yeah that's true. I bet he's thinking that it'll all be alright for him at the end.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    yep it hurts me cause he only sees me as a friend but I see him as much more than that and also the girl is a good friend of mine too
    hmm, I would say forget about it, but if he's available in the future go for it. A similar thing happened with me when a girl essentially asked me out and I was too shy to respond, then it was too late and I have been frustrated for the past ~6 months about it. Believe me, it's not worth the awful feeling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    hmm, I would say forget about it, but if he's available in the future go for it. A similar thing happened with me when a girl essentially asked me out and I was too shy to respond, then it was too late and I have been frustrated for the past ~6 months about it. Believe me, it's not worth the awful feeling.
    she's doing a longer course at uni and year in industry so when he is finished she will still be there so no idea how that one would pan out tbh

ReputationRep:
    God forbid, if he was my son.... This is what I think I would do: I would first advice him to take a U-turn immediately by repenting and cutting himself off from partying,dating etc.
    If he doesn't do it immediately I will semi-disown him i.e will only contact him to give him advice to come back to the straight path. And once he changes his ways and sincerly repents I will consider him my son again and try to treat him normally.

But most families imo would straight up disown and cut all ties and thats what he should expect.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    she's doing a longer course at uni and year in industry so when he is finished she will still be there so no idea how that one would pan out tbh
    I guess you just have to wait and see, but don't think about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    ok so a good friend of mine is from a muslim family and I'm aware his parents are rather strict like he isn't allowed to go out to clubs or drink ect and so he's grown up doing things behind their bank and lying, but anyways he has recently entered a relationship with a white atheist, who goes to his uni

what do you think will happen in the long run like if he wants to marry this girl; will his parents disown him... I'm just a bit confused about it really cause i care about him so idk whether he's made a bit of a mistake here and surely it could just end in major drama if his parents were to find out what he's been doing with this girl...
    Well she would need to revert and become a Muslim in order for the marriage to be valid. Alternatively she could just not give a **** what other people think and they can do what they want. His parents are not going to be happy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fermion.)
    Well she would need to revert and become a Muslim in order for the marriage to be valid. Alternatively she could just not give a **** what other people think and they can do what they want. His parents are not going to be happy though.
    heh it's gonna be interesting to see what happens ; I mean I think she is rather oblivious to the implications of this on his part, whilst he is just in denial that this could be anything but a perfect relationship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .-.-.-.-.)
    God forbid, if he was my son.... This is what I think I would do: I would first advice him to take a U-turn immediately by repenting and cutting himself off from partying,dating etc.
    If he doesn't do it immediately I will semi-disown him i.e will only contact him to give him advice to come back to the straight path. And once he changes his ways and sincerly repents I will consider him my son again and try to treat him normally.

But most families imo would straight up disown and cut all ties and thats what he should expect.
    Disowning your child because they're trying to live a perfectly normal life?

sickening tbh. Poor guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abu_Lahab)
    Disowning your child because they're trying to live a perfectly normal life?

sickening tbh. Poor guy.

A life that is displeasing to god isn't normal you perfectly know what perspective/angle I am coming from.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really say, it all depends on the parents and how hardcore they are and how close they are to their child

speaking as a south asian though i tend to find that a lot of strict south asian parents won't disown if its their son. daughter most likely but son very unlikely. they will still try to break it up though, whatever means possible. first putting heavy pressure on their son then treating the would-be daughter in law or her family badly. if the marriage still goes ahead they might just keep it quiet. thats how it was for one of my cousins anyways, everyone knows he is married but his parents still tell everyone he is single.

ReputationRep:
    A life that is displeasing to god isn't normal you perfectly know what perspective/angle I am coming from.
    yes I do know where you're coming from (from around 1400 years ago to be more precise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abu_Lahab)
    yes I do know where you're coming from (from around 1400 years ago to be more precise) and I wanted you to know that I find it sickening
    We will see if you find it sickening on the day of judgement /end

ReputationRep:
    We will see if you find it sickening on the day of judgement /end
    thats ofcourse if you're right but you could be wrong and there is no judgement day or maybe you picked the wrong god to worship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.