The Student Room Group

Has taking only 3 A-Levels reduced my chances of getting into top universities?

3 A-Levels and an AS.
LSE, UCL, Kings, Oxford ect...
Whilst I know all the universities require 3 A-Levels, will I be disadvantaged by only meeting this requirement and not exceeding their expectations.
For example, 76% of the intake of students at Durham university in a particular year took 4 A-Levels.
Does this apply to the rest.

Please respond ASAP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by new1234
3 A-Levels and an AS.
Whilst I know all the universities require 3 A-Levels, will I be disadvantaged by only meeting this requirement and not exceeding their expectations.
For example, 76% of the intake of students at Durham university in a particular year took 4 A-Levels.

Please respond ASAP!

No.
Reply 2
Original post by timster32
No.

Any reassuring evidence?
Original post by new1234
Any reassuring evidence?

I got into the University of Glasgow with 2 B's and a C in my 3 A levels and an E and a D in my AS levels.
Original post by new1234
Any reassuring evidence?

The data you've looked at comes from when A levels were all modular. It's far more common for people to take 3 A levels now courses are linear.
Original post by new1234
3 A-Levels and an AS.

Please respond ASAP!

Oh shutup
Reply 6
no
No. By doing the AS you're doing more than most people.
Original post by Cubone-r
I got into the University of Glasgow with 2 B's and a C in my 3 A levels and an E and a D in my AS levels.

What was the course?
Original post by M_ix
What was the course?

Psychology.
I have to agree with Reality Check on this one.

Whilst I am doing Further Maths at A Level next year (I'm only doing this out of passion and talent for Maths, and not for University prospects). Unless you're a timemanagement wiz, you may risk lowering your overall spread.

I know people who've gotten into Med Schools in Leeds, Kings College and Imperial with simply Maths, Biology, Chem at A*A*A, with an amazing personal statement and experience to support, wheras people who did 4+ ended up getting AABB or A*ABC because they only took it to bolster their prospects.

In other words, Uni's will prefer a more concentrated, high achieving spread, than a less consistent plentiful one, the old adage, quality over quantity.

But ultimately, like I said, whilst it doesn't eliminate you or decrease your chances of being picked, you must have a really good statement and experience to back, especially if you're doing a competitive field (i.e Medicine, Law)
No, although I would encourage you to take 4 A-Levels purely to get used to the workload/ rigour and the level of self-discipline and motivation expected of you at any of those universities (I recently graduated from LSE Law). I noticed a stark difference between students who did 4 or more traditional A-Levels or the IB or, even better, the Cambridge Pre-U, on the one hand, and those who did 3 A-Levels, on the other hand. I think it's important to do more than 3 A-Levels if not for the competitive edge, then certainly to avoid being shocked when you get to those universities, especially Oxbridge.
Original post by LostYouth
No, although I would encourage you to take 4 A-Levels purely to get used to the workload/ rigour and the level of self-discipline and motivation expected of you at any of those universities (I recently graduated from LSE Law). I noticed a stark difference between students who did 4 or more traditional A-Levels or the IB or, even better, the Cambridge Pre-U, on the one hand, and those who did 3 A-Levels, on the other hand. I think it's important to do more than 3 A-Levels if not for the competitive edge, then certainly to avoid being shocked when you get to those universities, especially Oxbridge.

It has changed so much since you did your A levels - many schools now only allow students to take three.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
The data you've looked at comes from when A levels were all modular. It's far more common for people to take 3 A levels now courses are linear.

Oh okay. Thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by scrunkie
Oh shutup

Lol, relax.
Reply 15

Hmm, I expect the workload to be hard to handle when I get to university and whilst I will struggle initially I am not too worried about the challenge. As long as it is not a significant disadvantage to me getting into university I would not take 4 just to prepare me for university. I expect university to be a challenge. Thanks though!

Which a levels did you do?

This is random as hell, but im in year 11, hoping to study law at LSE. Came across this post and wanted to know what you got at GCSE's and A - levels + what subjects you did at A level if that's not too much. I'm hoping to study History, Sociology, Economics & English Literature. Are those good subjects in prep for law at uni?
Original post by coolio333
This is random as hell, but im in year 11, hoping to study law at LSE. Came across this post and wanted to know what you got at GCSE's and A - levels + what subjects you did at A level if that's not too much. I'm hoping to study History, Sociology, Economics & English Literature. Are those good subjects in prep for law at uni?

They are good subjects for Law yes, but it is no longer expected for students to take 4 A levels and no Uni will insist on it. It’s better to get higher grades in 3 subjects than slightly lower grades in 4, so is there any particular reason why you are doing 4?
Reply 19
Universities will only give out 3 A-Level offers. They will rarely give out 4 A-Level offers to candidates, who may potentially receive a reduced offer. Furthermore, if Universities feel that you would benefit from your fourth subject, then they may also include this in the offer. Therefore it will not restrict you. The only circumstance where I believe 4 A-Levels to be necessary is when one of them is Further Maths. Further Maths is a very difficult A-Level and at my school, I believe roughly half dropped to AS or dropped it completely to single maths within the first year.

Quick Reply

Latest