The Student Room Group

Why is it when ethnic men dress westernised I think they are more liberal?

I'm not being racist. I'm Pakistani myself but I've noticed that when Asian men dress more Western with western haircuts , fashion and style, I automatically expect them to be more liberal, open minded, modern and westernised . However, it's usually the opposite some of these men thoughts and Mindsets are so backwards and they are so misogynistic that it shocks you. I've known some that dress how they want with shorts, earrings, tattoos etc but expect they wife to be in a Niqab and can't stand her wearing Western clothing.

However, I have met men dressed in traditional clothes or not as stylish but they are very open minded. I guess it's true never judge a book by its cover.
Reply 1
Well, it sorta makes sense people with a more western fashion are therefore more accepting of western beliefs- therefore more liberal.

People with traditional clothing are more willing to preserve their tradition- therefore they are more conservative.

In reality, you can make the assumption that people wearing traditional clothing are conservative but just because someone is wearing westernised clothing, it doesn't mean that they are liberal.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not being racist. I'm Pakistani myself but I've noticed that when Asian men dress more Western with western haircuts , fashion and style, I automatically expect them to be more liberal, open minded, modern and westernised . However, it's usually the opposite some of these men thoughts and Mindsets are so backwards and they are so misogynistic that it shocks you. I've known some that dress how they want with shorts, earrings, tattoos etc but expect they wife to be in a Niqab and can't stand her wearing Western clothing.

However, I have met men dressed in traditional clothes or not as stylish but they are very open minded. I guess it's true never judge a book by its cover.

Perhaps you associate western clothing with western liberal ideology. I mean I have a hijabi cousin who regularly argues with my more "Western" dressed cousins that Gays should have more rights. It seems like a contradiction, but I guess you should never presume or make assumptions about ones personal beliefs based upon their appearance
"The West does not recognise a country as civilised until they act like the West, dress like the West and talk like The West"

-some black guy i think
you're an idiot thats why

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending