Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't come to work for a week!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm working at an opticians for the summer and i've just completed my first week but next week I have a contracted work experience (1 week) I have to go to and then after that I have some other stuff I have to go to over monday to friday for about 3 weeks (ncs) so i'm only going to be really available on the weekends. I'm telling my manger tomorrow, i'm abit scared he'll lash out, I haven't even gotten paid yet...What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly its just a job at an opticians, let your manager know then do the work experience and NCS, they will understand, if not **** em'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    I'm working at an opticians for the summer and i've just completed my first week but next week I have a contracted work experience (1 week) I have to go to and then after that I have some other stuff I have to go to over monday to friday for about 3 weeks (ncs) so i'm only going to be really available on the weekends. I'm telling my manger tomorrow, i'm abit scared he'll lash out, I haven't even gotten paid yet...What should I do?
    Were you open and honest about these pre-existing commitments before you took on the job at the opticians? Because if not, you're just ****ing them about and your manager will have every right to be pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Were you open and honest about these pre-existing commitments before you took on the job at the opticians? Because if not, you're just ****ing them about and your manager will have every right to be pissed off.
    Well tbh no but I just wanted a job and some money it's not like I applied for this job I came for a test and he liked my character and offered me. If I had said I have other commitments I may not be where i'm at now but now it's looking kind of messy...I should've done weekend mcdonalds :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    Well tbh no but I just wanted a job and some money it's not like I applied for this job I came for a test and he liked my character and offered me. If I had said I have other commitments I may not be where i'm at now but now it's looking kind of messy...I should've done weekend mcdonalds :/
    Yup... I think he's going to be pretty pissed off with you - and you can see why, can't you? Now he's got to either rearrange cover for all these days you can't do, or let you go and go through the process of finding someone from scratch - and he's probably made plans on the basis that you were going to be there for the summer as you'd led him to believe. I appreciate that you didn't apply for it, but he did offer you a job and you accepted it...

Be apologetic, won't you?

ReputationRep:
    Yup... I think he's going to be pretty pissed off with you - and you can see why, can't you? Now he's got to either rearrange cover for all these days you can't do, or let you go and go through the process of finding someone from scratch - and he's probably made plans on the basis that you were going to be there for the summer as you'd led him to believe. I appreciate that you didn't apply for it, but he did offer you a job and you accepted it...

Be apologetic, won't you?
    Yeah i'm going to have to be...I'm still fully avaiable on a Saturdays and after the work experience on monday and tuesday then i'm off to ncs on the weekdays. Idek but yeah fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    Yeah i'm going to have to be...I'm still fully avaiable on a Saturdays and after the work experience on monday and tuesday then i'm off to ncs on the weekdays. Idek but yeah fingers crossed.
    Good luck - I'm sure you'll work something out which works for both of you.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.