Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post anonymously something you want to get off your chest Watch

Announcements

Today my friend brought something up from the past and it irritated me. Since she knows that it hurts me, but she still mentions it. Sometimes I get the feeling that she does this on purpose and despite saying 'sorry' she still brings it up. What kind of a friend does this?

I miss you and will probably be missing you forever ❤

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A lot easier said than done.

Selling things on places like etsy and ebay is not a stable income, and 9 times out of 10 Chinese sellers can undercut your prices or bulk sellers can sell similar items cheaper. Not to mention how terrible ebay seller protecton is (I've sold stuff before) That is without even getting into start up costs if you're selling a product. Which means you are taking a financial risk for something that very well may not work out.

Other means of self employment also require a lot of specific skills (for example coding) and take a heck of a lot of time to get started on. Not ideal for a full time graduate student.

Worth noting the vast majority of business fail in the first year. You hear the success stories...but what about the people who lost everything on that risk of starting their own business? Not worth it unless you have something truly unique to sell or if you have extensive skills...and those people tend to be easy to employ anyway.
    better than sending 300 applications with no reply

Income is actually pretty stable, self employed people on average earn more.

So what if chinese sellers undercut you ? Selling is more than about Price. By your logic the shop on the high street would be primark.

very little start up costs with an ebay store. Again better than sending 300 CVs with no reply.

I never suggested coding, so your sort of knocking down your own suggestion.

lost everything ? lol what are you on about. Alot of people also fail jobs at the probation stage, what your point ? Sit in your room all day avoiding risk.

All you need is to provide a service that is in demand, you dont need to be best or reinvent the wheel, just a service people put on value on.

and yet many talented people prefer to be self employed and achieve huge success, better go and email than some anon person on tsr said they where doing life wrong.

(Original post by hannah00)
    better than sending 300 applications with no reply

Income is actually pretty stable, self employed people on average earn more.

So what if chinese sellers undercut you ? Selling is more than about Price. By your logic the shop on the high street would be primark.

very little start up costs with an ebay store. Again better than sending 300 CVs with no reply.

I never suggested coding, so your sort of knocking down your own suggestion.

lost everything ? lol what are you on about. Alot of people also fail jobs at the probation stage, what your point ? Sit in your room all day avoiding risk.

All you need is to provide a service that is in demand, you dont need to be best or reinvent the wheel, just a service people put on value on.

and yet many talented people prefer to be self employed and achieve huge success, better go and email than some anon person on tsr said they where doing life wrong.

Income is stable is it? Where is your evidence for that, that being self employed selling things on ebay is stable?

If you're selling products then no start up cost is not low, you have to buy in goods to sell them. Then you have to sell them out again at a higher price to ensure no loss. This is not even remotely a guarantee...I've literally tried this before.

Lost everything as in, invested their savings in stock to sell only for it go wrong.

No you didn't specifically mention coding, but not every self employed person sells on eBay. In fact most of them don't because it's such a rubbish, unstable and unforgiving market. Most self employed people have specific skills like coding and freelance professional work.

Never said anything about sitting in my room all day. This is a thread designed for people to have a rant...or did you miss that.

Your last sentence literally made no sense and you ignored all my other points. Your advice is crap tbh.

I seem to cry everyday.

I love dogs.

UCL is a **** uni and is far worse than LSE.

UCL
    CL
    L
    LS
    LSE

i'm asexual and i have not a clue what to tell anyone, i try to blend in and pretend but tbh i couldn't care less about having a girlfriend or boyfriend or doing anything, it's just completely uninteresting to me, having friends is great, but i just don't feel anything at all for either sex.

Hate's a strong word, but I struggle to say that I love my parents and mean it. They mean well and care for me but our relationship has become so materialistic, I can't feel much anymore. They are part of the reason I developed a social anxiety disorder.

I'm unemployable :cry: :cry: :cry:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm unemployable :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Why do you think that?

I have this secret crush on my mind but he doesn't even think we're friends 😂 don't have his number, we barely talk.

Tried so hard to get him off my mind but it's been 10 months I can't do this anymore

sometimes i feel sick because of how worthless i feel. but i shove the feeling off because it will always be there, so the only thing i can do is not concentrate on it. but i know there will be times when it is all i feel, and then i'll feed it. i'll let it grow stronger until i'm rocking in a bathroom corner, hating myself and snarling how utterly pathetic i am.

(Original post by Wired_1800)
    Why do you think that?
    Because I didn't develop many skills at university, I didn't do much at all. It was a waste of 4 years. I wish I could go back and redo it In my subject area, I need a PhD to get further work. I'm too scared to even apply to a job, because I know I'll just get rejected
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Because I didn't develop many skills at university, I didn't do much at all. It was a waste of 4 years. I wish I could go back and redo it In my subject area, I need a PhD to get further work. I'm too scared to even apply to a job, because I know I'll just get rejected
    Just try to apply for jobs. Don't limit it to you degree area. I know people with 2.2s and 3rds that have jobs. You have to believe in yourself.

Wish I didn't have anxiety, it gets in the way of everything

ReputationRep:
    I have been a live for 16 years and 7 months and I have never seen myself breakdown like this over a boy.

I want to find girls who want sex and I don't know how I'm still a virgin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    I have been a live for 16 years and 7 months and I have never seen myself breakdown like this over a boy.

:console: Maybe it was for the best. You will find someone better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    :console: Maybe it was for the best. You will find someone better
    It wasn't for the best because I saw him at the NCS graduation ceremony, and I realized I still have feelings. And him and her were still close. I have been crying since, 3 times today.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.