Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will I struggle at college doing EPQ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am starting college in september, and I am one of the first years to no longer have the choice to do AS levels. We now choose 3 A-levels, and choose an "extend" option. For my extend, I want to do something called the journalism academy- but if I don't get in to that I would do creative and professional writing. However, I also want to do the EPQ as I don't think I have done as well on my GCSE's as I need for Oxbridge/Russel Group uni's and am looking for something to help boost my application. Will I struggle if I ask my college whether they will allow me to do 3 A-levels, an extend and an EPQ and they say yes?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Oxford say that an EPQ is not needed especially if it will jeopordise your GCSE's . However, for me I think it looks good on a personal statement, and I am also doing it to experience what independent study of a subject is like (so kinda trying to experience uni study to see if I like it). Some universities can also lower their offers if you are predicted a good EPQ grade (I am not sure which)

Loads of people do it and do it well, so I am sure you would be able to cope. Are you going to be doing it in year 12 or year 13? I am doing my this in year 13 so sept onwards, and the good thing is that means I can get my research done this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganlit)
    Hi,

I am starting college in september, and I am one of the first years to no longer have the choice to do AS levels. We now choose 3 A-levels, and choose an "extend" option. For my extend, I want to do something called the journalism academy- but if I don't get in to that I would do creative and professional writing. However, I also want to do the EPQ as I don't think I have done as well on my GCSE's as I need for Oxbridge/Russel Group uni's and am looking for something to help boost my application. Will I struggle if I ask my college whether they will allow me to do 3 A-levels, an extend and an EPQ and they say yes?
    it really depends when your EPQ is due in. I have had from last september to this coming October meaning it is very easy to do little bits of your EPQ here and there. However, I know people who had from September to April/May time and that would probably be a bit of a squeeze. you could maybe try to combine your epq with your extend as an epq can be an artefact as well as an extended essay? Sorry i don't know what an extend is.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It's not essential, but can be very enjoyable and advantageous when it comes to doing your degree. The freedom to research and write about a topic of personal interest can also help to further your own understanding of a certain subject, giving you the independent researching, writing, scheduling and referencing skills needed for higher education.
    (Original post by Sophiegraceb)
    it really depends when your EPQ is due in. I have had from last september to this coming October meaning it is very easy to do little bits of your EPQ here and there. However, I know people who had from September to April/May time and that would probably be a bit of a squeeze. you could maybe try to combine your epq with your extend as an epq can be an artefact as well as an extended essay? Sorry i don't know what an extend is.
    My EPQ time-frame was October-April and there wasn't much of an issue as long as you prioritise the project early and get it completed so that you can focus on your A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I did 4 a levels and EPQ this year. You should be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.