The Student Room Group

Will I struggle at college doing EPQ?

Hi,

I am starting college in september, and I am one of the first years to no longer have the choice to do AS levels. We now choose 3 A-levels, and choose an "extend" option. For my extend, I want to do something called the journalism academy- but if I don't get in to that I would do creative and professional writing. However, I also want to do the EPQ as I don't think I have done as well on my GCSE's as I need for Oxbridge/Russel Group uni's and am looking for something to help boost my application. Will I struggle if I ask my college whether they will allow me to do 3 A-levels, an extend and an EPQ and they say yes?
Hi, Oxford say that an EPQ is not needed especially if it will jeopordise your GCSE's :smile:. However, for me I think it looks good on a personal statement, and I am also doing it to experience what independent study of a subject is like (so kinda trying to experience uni study to see if I like it). Some universities can also lower their offers if you are predicted a good EPQ grade (I am not sure which)

Loads of people do it and do it well, so I am sure you would be able to cope. Are you going to be doing it in year 12 or year 13? I am doing my this in year 13 so sept onwards, and the good thing is that means I can get my research done this summer. :smile:
Original post by meganlit
Hi,

I am starting college in september, and I am one of the first years to no longer have the choice to do AS levels. We now choose 3 A-levels, and choose an "extend" option. For my extend, I want to do something called the journalism academy- but if I don't get in to that I would do creative and professional writing. However, I also want to do the EPQ as I don't think I have done as well on my GCSE's as I need for Oxbridge/Russel Group uni's and am looking for something to help boost my application. Will I struggle if I ask my college whether they will allow me to do 3 A-levels, an extend and an EPQ and they say yes?

it really depends when your EPQ is due in. I have had from last september to this coming October meaning it is very easy to do little bits of your EPQ here and there. However, I know people who had from September to April/May time and that would probably be a bit of a squeeze. you could maybe try to combine your epq with your extend as an epq can be an artefact as well as an extended essay? Sorry i don't know what an extend is.
Hi,

It's not essential, but can be very enjoyable and advantageous when it comes to doing your degree. The freedom to research and write about a topic of personal interest can also help to further your own understanding of a certain subject, giving you the independent researching, writing, scheduling and referencing skills needed for higher education.
Original post by Sophiegraceb
it really depends when your EPQ is due in. I have had from last september to this coming October meaning it is very easy to do little bits of your EPQ here and there. However, I know people who had from September to April/May time and that would probably be a bit of a squeeze. you could maybe try to combine your epq with your extend as an epq can be an artefact as well as an extended essay? Sorry i don't know what an extend is.

My EPQ time-frame was October-April and there wasn't much of an issue as long as you prioritise the project early and get it completed so that you can focus on your A-Levels.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,

I did 4 a levels and EPQ this year. You should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest