Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Studying over Summer for A-Levels... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to see how many of you are as crazy as I am!

I really want to do amazing for A-Levels, so I decided to study over Summer for the subjects which I would love to do! English, Psychology, Mathematics, and (Depending on the grade) Further Mathematics!

I am so excited for GCSE Results Day ! I am not expecting every subject to be A* quality, though. I have been reading Othello, Virginia Woolf, A Streetcar Named Desire, annotating and quite soon making notes! I ordered a Psychology Textbook and wrote notes on the first Chapter (it's so time-consuming though). For Math, as I will be doing the NEW specification for OCR I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to study as much...that was until I found a playlist on youtube which I am willing to share to y'all!

:hippie:

ReputationRep:
    share the maths playlist please

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well I just finished year 10 so another year for me yet! However I've begun looking at A level bits and pieces of subjects I'd like to do (Biology, Maths, Geography, Psychology). I've been looking at monosaccharides and polysaccharides, enzymes, gaseous exchange, and some bioenergetics for Biology. The C1 module, and integration/differentiation (C3??), Pythagorean identities, mechanics ( SUVAT equations/vectors), decision maths (prims algorithm) and S1 for maths. Plate tectonic theory, biodiversity, UK physical landscapes, urban opportunities and challenges etc for geography. Not really looked at psychology but know it's about attachment, phobias, mental health, applications, classification etc. Obviously I'm more focused on GCSE studies but I'm really excited for when I do start 6th form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi_Max)
    Hi, well I just finished year 10 so another year for me yet! However I've begun looking at A level bits and pieces of subjects I'd like to do (Biology, Maths, Geography, Psychology). I've been looking at monosaccharides and polysaccharides, enzymes, gaseous exchange, and some bioenergetics for Biology. The C1 module, and integration/differentiation (C3??), Pythagorean identities, mechanics ( SUVAT equations/vectors), decision maths (prims algorithm) and S1 for maths. Plate tectonic theory, biodiversity, UK physical landscapes, urban opportunities and challenges etc for geography. Not really looked at psychology but know it's about attachment, phobias, mental health, applications, classification etc. Obviously I'm more focused on GCSE studies but I'm really excited for when I do start 6th form
    Im in a similar position as you, however i sure as hell havent stared as many subjects as you for a level haha. i am getting close to fully understanding c3 and 4 in maths, and having only started looking at as physics a few weeks ago, i think i am doing quite well in it. Unlike you however im not excited to join sixth form but really just trying to get through it as fast as possible so i can start at a university. Also by the way differentiation and integration is on all the pure modules, it gets progressively more difficult as you go along (c4 integration is a nightmare)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ray44)
    Im in a similar position as you, however i sure as hell havent stared as many subjects as you for a level haha. i am getting close to fully understanding c3 and 4 in maths, and having only started looking at as physics a few weeks ago, i think i am doing quite well in it. Unlike you however im not excited to join sixth form but really just trying to get through it as fast as possible so i can start at a university. Also by the way differentiation and integration is on all the pure modules, it gets progressively more difficult as you go along (c4 integration is a nightmare)
    Hi I think C1-C3 is alright if you practise loads actually. Haven't looked at C4 yet though... Thanks for clarifying, I couldn't remember where I'd looked at it. You like physics??? It's my least favourite subject haha. What uni do you want to go to? What would you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi_Max)
    Hi I think C1-C3 is alright if you practise loads actually. Haven't looked at C4 yet though... Thanks for clarifying, I couldn't remember where I'd looked at it. You like physics??? It's my least favourite subject haha. What uni do you want to go to? What would you study?
    Pretty much all of maths(and further maths) is understandable through hard work and just practising past papers honestly. Im hoping it will get me through year 1 and 2 anyways.Right now in terms of unis id like to go somewhere in london, because along with the prestigious school there are over there, i have relatives there so i could live with them for the duration of my degree. In terms of what degree id like to do, its really to early to say, but im looking at physics, maybe theoretical because i love maths also, but any physics degree would keep me interested i think haha. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ray44)
    Pretty much all of maths(and further maths) is understandable through hard work and just practising past papers honestly. Im hoping it will get me through year 1 and 2 anyways.Right now in terms of unis id like to go somewhere in london, because along with the prestigious school there are over there, i have relatives there so i could live with them for the duration of my degree. In terms of what degree id like to do, its really to early to say, but im looking at physics, maybe theoretical because i love maths also, but any physics degree would keep me interested i think haha. What about you?
    That sounds great I wish I liked physics - I'm good at it but I just don't enjoy it. If I didn't do psychology I might do FM because I do love maths. For unis I'm also thinking somewhere prestigious, so London or at least one of the Russell Group Unis. I'm interested in Maths, Biology, Geography or maybe pediatric nursing, but still pretty undecided So have you just finished year 11 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariejuana)
    share the maths playlist please
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dajHx_hq85P0G-

Here you go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ray44)
    Integration doesn't appear in C3, but differentiation does appear in all modules, although in C3/C4, it becomes more applied whereas, in C1/C2, they might just ask you to differentiate/integrate a function by itself. And although it might look daunting now, the integration in C4 is actually not too difficult but, oftentimes, rather trivial.

Since you're in year 10, I wouldn't recommend looking too much into your A level subjects beyond getting a feel for which ones you like. Your GCSEs are far more important right now, and you'll be looking at C3/C4 in year 13. I'm sure you'll have forgotten most of what you've learnt now by then!

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd say that I did what you guys are doing for 2 of my subjects at AS and it made them so incredibly boring, maths especially. It's a bit rubbish when you have to sit through a class where you already know how to do everything, so I'd just advise you to not do too much. Sure, skim over things so you know roughly what the teacher will be talking about, but don't go too in detail. Enjoy your summer, and make sure you're familiar with the gcse content for your a level subjects after results day. That's all the teachers expect of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyronemarsh)
    I just wanted to see how many of you are as crazy as I am!

I really want to do amazing for A-Levels, so I decided to study over Summer for the subjects which I would love to do! English, Psychology, Mathematics, and (Depending on the grade) Further Mathematics!

I am so excited for GCSE Results Day ! I am not expecting every subject to be A* quality, though. I have been reading Othello, Virginia Woolf, A Streetcar Named Desire, annotating and quite soon making notes! I ordered a Psychology Textbook and wrote notes on the first Chapter (it's so time-consuming though). For Math, as I will be doing the NEW specification for OCR I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to study as much...that was until I found a playlist on youtube which I am willing to share to y'all!

:hippie:
    I'm doing maths, further maths, biology and chemistry. At the moment, I've done C1 and C2 and I'm hoping to look over the stuff and do some practice papers. Planning on getting S1 and M1 done too...I swear I'm obsessed 😂

Not done anything on biology or chemistry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.