Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've had a change of heart and not sure how the boyfriend will take it? Watch

Announcements

So we cut out condoms a very long time ago, both agreed sex with no condom is better - there's no denying that. However I don't want to go on the pill or try any other form of contraception. I recently got thrush and I'm not sure if it was what he uses down there that caused it or it just happened. Either way i really want to protect myself against any and everything because let's be honest anything can slip through. I don't want to end up regretting not using condoms.

Please please don't get the wrong idea, I love and trust my boyfriend dearly but anything can change. I also have been having second thoughts about giving head for the same reasons to be honest, i feel bad about this one because i enjoy it. I just want to ensure that I am protected always. But I'm not sure how we will get around this one. He's never been tested since being with me, we both slipped up and had sex, a month later I got tested and came back clean. This was almost a year ago.

First and foremost I guess I will just explain to my boyfriend that I don't want any kids right now and my reasons why I don't wanna go on the pill

Any advice would be welcomed with open arms.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So we cut out condoms a very long time ago, both agreed sex with no condom is better - there's no denying that. However I don't want to go on the pill or try any other form of contraception. I recently got thrush and I'm not sure if it was what he uses down there that caused it or it just happened. Either way i really want to protect myself against any and everything because let's be honest anything can slip through. I don't want to end up regretting not using condoms.

Please please don't get the wrong idea, I love and trust my boyfriend dearly but anything can change. I also have been having second thoughts about giving head for the same reasons to be honest, i feel bad about this one because i enjoy it. I just want to ensure that I am protected always. But I'm not sure how we will get around this one. He's never been tested since being with me, we both slipped up and had sex, a month later I got tested and came back clean. This was almost a year ago.

First and foremost I guess I will just explain to my boyfriend that I don't want any kids right now and my reasons why I don't wanna go on the pill
    Assuming your are both free of STDs and in a monogamous relationship the real concern here is pregnancy.
    You need to use some form of contraception and if you don't want to use the pill etc you have to use condoms.
    It's totally fine if you don't want to use the pill etc, just explain to your bf why and I'm sure he'll be fine with it. You need to use some form of contraception and condoms are arguably the easiest option as you don't need to worry about pill timing, potential side effects etc.

As far as STDs go, if that is your concern and you are happy using other methods for preventing pregnancy then you can always ask that you both get tested.

Thrush is nothing to worry about though. It's an overgrowth of a fungus that you already have in your body (candida) and you can get it anywhere- even in your ears or armpits. It can come from having sex, but also from using too much bubble bath, being hot and sweaty or wearing tights. If you find that it becomes a regular issue after sex then you may want to look into it, but if it's just one episode you don't need to worry.
    The one thing I would note is when you wash down there do not use soaps. You may feel like they are making you cleaner, but they are actually throwing off the natural balance and self cleaning your body has and putting you at more risk of thrush. In fact, it's best to avoid any products down there unless they are specifically designed for it (like lube, tampons or condoms).

Hope that helps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yep, this is your choice to make. If he makes a fuss, it's not a good sign, whereas if he's supportive, it is.

What have you been doing in terms of contraception?

If he really loves you then he'll support your decision. It isn't like your making irrational demands, your perfectly justified and have your head screwed on (unlike many other women out there). You do what you think is right.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.