Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm a British student but I've been out of the country for more than 3 years and am currently studying Geology abroad. This means if I go back to the UK to do my Master's, it'll cost around 23k in tuition fees alone. I can probably manage it but it's a hugeeee amount of money. My other option is to study in the EU (most preferably in the Netherlands) where it's way cheaper as I'm considered an EU student (Brexit hasn't taken effect yet).

I'm going to apply to study Geophysics and GIS at Leeds and Edinburgh respectively, Geophysics at Utrecht and Delft(joint Masters with ETH Zurich and RWTH Aachen) in the Netherlands as well as Copenhagen, LMU Munich, Helsinki and Aarhus making up the rest of the countries. My preference is Utrecht at the moment as it's supposed to be one of the best Earth Science universities in Europe, the course appeals to me a lot, and the city looks great too!

I have a lot of family telling me to go to the UK as universities are more recognised and the job prospects will be a lot better afterwards. So my question is... Are they right? If I do proceed to do my Master's in the Netherlands or in those other universities I mentioned, would my job prospects be lower in comparison to doing a Master's in the UK? I've pretty much got my heart set on the Netherlands at the moment, but what my family says is the only thing that seems to be holding me back!

Sorry if I seem a bit ignorant, I know all those universities are world class institutions, I just don't know what it's like to go as an international student or how employers in the UK would perceive the degree. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Cheeeers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamidris)
    Hey everyone, I'm a British student but I've been out of the country for more than 3 years and am currently studying Geology abroad. This means if I go back to the UK to do my Master's, it'll cost around 23k in tuition fees alone. I can probably manage it but it's a hugeeee amount of money. My other option is to study in the EU (most preferably in the Netherlands) where it's way cheaper as I'm considered an EU student (Brexit hasn't taken effect yet).

I'm going to apply to study Geophysics and GIS at Leeds and Edinburgh respectively, Geophysics at Utrecht and Delft(joint Masters with ETH Zurich and RWTH Aachen) in the Netherlands as well as Copenhagen, LMU Munich, Helsinki and Aarhus making up the rest of the countries. My preference is Utrecht at the moment as it's supposed to be one of the best Earth Science universities in Europe, the course appeals to me a lot, and the city looks great too!

I have a lot of family telling me to go to the UK as universities are more recognised and the job prospects will be a lot better afterwards. So my question is... Are they right? If I do proceed to do my Master's in the Netherlands or in those other universities I mentioned, would my job prospects be lower in comparison to doing a Master's in the UK? I've pretty much got my heart set on the Netherlands at the moment, but what my family says is the only thing that seems to be holding me back!

Sorry if I seem a bit ignorant, I know all those universities are world class institutions, I just don't know what it's like to go as an international student or how employers in the UK would perceive the degree. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Cheeeers
    Have you officially been living out of the UK that long, or just temporarily residing as a student?

I'd say not to do the Masters in the UK - 23,000 is a hell of a lot of money, and you'd probably make it a round 30k with living costs as well! Don't know if you plan on returning to work in the UK or not, but you might have a lot better chance of working abroad when free movement ends if you have an additional european qualification! If you have the money to pay for the UK courses, you'll easily be able to cover the living costs and tuition fees (if any) in those european cities.

Best place to go for advice is reddit.com/r/geologycareers , it's full of professional geoscientists who might be able to give you their perspective. You might have to give a bit more detail about the courses you want to do (ie how long are they, how much taught vs research component there is) as a lot of people on there are from the US/Canada (where I think their masters is just a full year research programme).

PS - where did you do your undergrad?

ReputationRep:

Cheeeers
    Wait, since you are British and considered EU student shouldnt the UK fees be like 9k-10k? Fees for EU students are the same with UK. Well, still i would choose Utrecht over Leeds. But not over Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the reply!

I'm a third culture kid and have been out the UK most my life, so home fees won't apply I'm afraid. Yeah the main factor stopping me from going ahead with studying in the UK, is that it's just too expensive if you don't get home status! I never thought about the fact that it may increase my opportunities after Brexit, so that sounds great!

I'll definitely check out reddit and see what advice they have to offer, thank you so much for the help

A bit random, but I did my undergrad in Oman as it's a geological paradiseee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beerus)
    Wait, since you are British and considered EU student shouldnt the UK fees be like 9k-10k? Fees for EU students are the same with UK. Well, still i would choose Utrecht over Leeds. But not over Edinburgh.
    No sadly it doesn't work like that. You have to be resident in the UK 3 years prior to starting your degree, otherwise you're international. The rest of the EU go by nationality, so that's where it works in my benefit as I'll get home fees.

Thanks for the suggestions, but what's the reasoning behind picking Utrecht over Leeds but not over Edinburgh?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    No sadly it doesn't work like that. You have to be resident in the UK 3 years prior to starting your degree, otherwise you're international. The rest of the EU go by nationality, so that's where it works in my benefit as I'll get home fees.

Thanks for the suggestions, but what's the reasoning behind picking Utrecht over Leeds but not over Edinburgh?

Cheers
    Weird. Everyone i know who was EU resident and went to a uk uni paid UK fees, not international. Acording to most rankings, Edinburgh is above Utrecht but Leeds isn't if i recall corectly. Leeds is a solid uni too though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.