Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Our Rights Vs the Police??? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    General question, but I was just wondering if there are any key rights we as the public should know when handling the police. Like do we have to give our name? Does the police officer have to give his/her's badge number when we request it? It would be nice to know
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenTeeKid)
    General question, but I was just wondering if there are any key rights we as the public should know when handling the police. Like do we have to give our name? Does the police officer have to give his/her's badge number when we request it? It would be nice to know
    They cant demand you name or address without good reason. However, refusing to will probably make them think youre up to something. You can take their badge number yes. Thats all I know, as I have never had to deal with the police in this manner.

Citizens Advice also give a detailed summary of their powers: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...police-powers/

ReputationRep:
    It largely depends on the situation. Police almost always have to give a name and shoulder number, though. If they want your name, you can always ask them why they're asking for it. They can and sometimes do ask questions that you legally don't have to answer.

Some common misconceptions seem to be based on differences between US and UK laws. In the UK, police have a lot more legal power to enter buildings without warrants. They also don't need a reason to pull somebody over while they're driving. Those seem like frequently misunderstood powers.

If you think that something that happened to you was illegal, try to get some evidence of what happened and contact the IPCC and the inspector at whichever station the officers claimed to be from. Fighting over it in the street isn't likely to get you as good a result.

A good rule for dealing with the police is probably to remember that they are often very pressed for time. They don't want to spend all day on a single minor offence, they've probably got other crimes to investigate too. If you can give them the info they need to discount you (and quickly) then they'll often be out of your hair before too long.

Be really calm.

ReputationRep:
    It is far easier to comply with their requests and be polite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as a 'quick chat', always refuse any questions until you've spoken to a lawyer if they are asking you about anything remotely serious.

Never admit to a crime. It's not up to the police to decide if you're guilty and they won't go easy on you for admitting it. Juries decide guilt, judges decide punishment.. the police just try to get prosecutions. Even if you are guilty never admit to it until you've spoken to a lawyer.

If the police ever ask you how fast you were going, the answer is always at or below the speed limit. 31 in a 30 is still breaking the law, don't be the idiot who tries "oh just a few mph over the limit" line and instantly incriminates themselves.

Lastly - don't break the law to begin with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezisola)
    There's no such thing as a 'quick chat', always refuse any questions until you've spoken to a lawyer if they are asking you about anything remotely serious.
    If you know you have done nothing wrong there is no need to lawyer up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    If you know you have done nothing wrong there is no need to lawyer up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Worst possible advice

ReputationRep:
    Worst possible advice
    What is the point of lawyering up when expensive and pointless.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of lawyering up when expensive and pointless.
    You are entitled to free legal advice in this country.

It worries me that you are giving legal advice yet didn't know this.

ReputationRep:
    You are entitled to free legal representation in this country.

It worries me that you are giving legal advice yet didn't know this.
    I would not trust free legal representation, that is why I have a lawyer.

There is no need to lawyer up every time the police ask you a question.

ReputationRep:
    I would not trust free legal representation, that is why I have a lawyer.

There is no need to lawyer up every time the police ask you a question.
    You will of course have noticed that I specified when you should seek legal advice and it was not every time the police ask you a question.

ReputationRep:
    You will of course have noticed that I specified when you should seek legal advice and it was not every time the police ask you a question.
    It isn't necessary. If the police ask if you are carrying drugs (a serious offence) do you lawyer up?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't necessary. If the police ask if you are carrying drugs (a serious offence) do you lawyer up?
    That depends if you are then going to consent to a search.

ReputationRep:
    Oh course I would, I have nothing to hide.

ReputationRep:
    Oh course I would, I have nothing to hide.
    Then no need

If you were however actually accused of a crime (detained, charged etc) then you absolutely should seek legal advice before talking to the police , regardless of your innocence.

ReputationRep:
    Let's not be naive here. The police, especially the Met are not above a bit of corruption, racism or anything that gets them prosecutions, lying or being economical with the truth. Always lawyer up. I have a grandson in the Met and the stuff he tells me makes me wonder that it needs a good clean-up.

ReputationRep:
    It's not usually a matter of consent. The police don't need a huge amount of evidence before they can search somebody (regardless of consent).

Something that people might not know, though, is that they can always ask to be searched by an officer of the same gender, unless the delay could be dangerous (ie, if they're accused of having a weapon that they might be about to use).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.