Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is US history important and why? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really like US history find it interesting, and know quite a decent amount of US history. Although, do we need to learn US history?

Someone asked me this today, and i thought yeah modern US history is important as it explains whats happening in the ME. However, that is actually wrong... as confilict there has always occured historically the Crusades is a good example? Also divisions between religous sects etc. And conflict has occured everywhere through out history

I feel like the Civil War is not that relevant as slavery is no longer widely supported anymoee (although you could say that the Civil war reflects current racial politics such as the Black Lives Matter,inequality etc.) , and the Revoloution especially is not really relevant.

In terms of the Cold War I guess the Cold War is important to learn about but could it be better for us to be taught it in a more British perspective or consider Russias perspective. I feel like studying the CW has always been from one perspective especially studying the Cuban Missile Crises, and Vietnam.

Although I feel like studying consumerism from the 1920s, and post ww2 boom has been quite useful. I feel like in the modern day I can relate to it.

Discuss, (I am trying to practice intellectual thinking )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I really like US history find it interesting, and know quite a decent amount of US history. Although, do we need to learn US history?

Someone asked me this today, and i thought yeah modern US history is important as it explains whats happening in the ME. However, that is actually wrong... as confilict there has always occured historically the Crusades is a good example? Also divisions between religous sects etc. And conflict has occured everywhere through out history

I feel like the Civil War is not that relevant as slavery is no longer widely supported anymoee (although you could say that the Civil war reflects current racial politics such as the Black Lives Matter,inequality etc.) , and the Revoloution especially is not really relevant.

In terms of the Cold War I guess the Cold War is important to learn about but could it be better for us to be taught it in a more British perspective or consider Russias perspective. I feel like studying the CW has always been from one perspective especially studying the Cuban Missile Crises, and Vietnam.

Although I feel like studying consumerism from the 1920s, and post ww2 boom has been quite useful. I feel like in the modern day I can relate to it.

Discuss, (I am trying to practice intellectual thinking )
    US history is incredibly important. Simply because it transformed from a British colony to a global superpower in a matter of centuries. The history of America can also still be felt today, whether that is their military dominance, racial divisions and their hatred towards Russia/communism. America for the past 100 years has had a direct influence on the rest of the world, which makes learning about how they came to be a superpower so interesting. I personally love studying the American Civil War.

ReputationRep:
    You can't just dismiss a whole historical period saying it's irrelevant nowadays. For example the numerous shootings that occur in the US can be attributed to the 2nd Amendment of the constitution which, in turn, the Revolutionary war.
    The Civil War, in addition, is important in understanding the vastly different ideologies in the North and South which can be reflected today; The North somewhat more liberal with Gay rights movements thriving in New York etc while the South more conservative, perhaps. The developments of Parties after and during the Civil War is important in addressing why certain states normally vote for certain parties in election year, too.
    Cba to go through other examples but I'd say every historical period can attribute itself someway or, moreover, has significance today, in some way. So, yes, you should study the US.

ReputationRep:
    It's unclear what 'relevant history' means, each country and region has their own. History in general is essential to understand what drove all the changes in the world, the US were the most influential nation over the last century. American history tells everyone how the richest and most powerful nation came to achieve that status, with all good and bad in the system. Only England rivals the US in historical global influence, they must have been doing something right at some point. In history.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.