Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's an Apprenticeship like? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, after making a bad decision to go back to school to do my AS levels, I have decided to do an IT apprenticeship at my local recruitment agency.

I'm starting in September and I'm meant to go to a meeting with the supplier in mid-august.

My career goal is to be an IT Technician (Dealing with and repairing Hardware and software problems.)

What's an IT Apprenticeship like? Do you get paid on the job? how many days would i spend in a shop working and what would i do aside from that?

...sorry if this is in the wrong topic
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by IrishHibee)
    I'm 17, after making a bad decision to go back to school to do my AS levels, I have decided to do an IT apprenticeship at my local recruitment agency.

I'm starting in September and I'm meant to go to a meeting with the supplier in mid-august.

My career goal is to be an IT Technician (Dealing with and repairing Hardware and software problems.)

What's an IT Apprenticeship like? Do you get paid on the job? how many days would i spend in a shop working and what would i do aside from that?

£3.50 an hour until you are 19 and have completed one year. It would then go up to £5.60 an hour or whatever it says in your contract. These are minimums.

You will work, but should also get some training. The training is important and what qualification that might be which should have been detailed when you applied for the job. It might involve letting you go to college once a week to do a BTEC in something IT related. You can ask them for details of your apprenticeship now.

Some apprenticeships are good and you get good experience plus training. Others are poor. It just depends if you have chosen wisely.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

First of all congrats for getting the apprenticeship!

In terms of the answers to your questions, this all depends on your employer. You will get paid and have learning, but in terms of how much and when, I would suggest you ask your employer?

Each company will be different.
    Maybe ask during your meeting in mid-august for more details?

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:

Hey there,

It's a tricky question to answer, since it varies from company to company. Personally, I found it a good way to get into employment (not my long term goal but was important nonetheless). The drawback (depending how you see it) is the pay aspect. Personally, I think getting the actual work experience is more important, but the pay aspect I don't believe is fair for young people. In addition, I did find out that I was during someone else's job for them in many regards when they did leave (they were on managers pay), so be careful not to have someone take advantage of you. However, in the spirit of positivity I will say that it is probably the best way to get a job. Both you and a company get a feel for each other and at a much lower risk and cost to the company, making them more likely to hire you if you do well. I hope this helps.

Regards.

ReputationRep:

I'll let you know what my apprenticeship was like to give you an idea, I worked at a children's hospital as an assistant. I would work Monday - Friday 9-5. I was paid that national apprenticeship wage for my age range at the time which was a shocking £2.73. I spent Thursdays in the onsite college and the rest of the time at work. Obviously there will be some differences in IT but I would say from personal experience, apprenticeships are really helpful to give you a leg up in the industry you are going for, however I would not suggest doing one just for the money because the money is s**t. No two ways about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.