Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I believe the rule for uni used to be you had to stay in halls for your first year. Does this still apply? And if so, is this for each subsequent year afterwards too? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_Davies)
    Hi. I believe the rule for uni used to be you had to stay in halls for your first year. Does this still apply? And if so, is this for each subsequent year afterwards too? Thanks
    Hey,

Where did you read this?

It would be very selfish of them to force everyone to pick halls especially for students who are on a tight budget.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds ridiculous. Why would they force everyone to stay in the halls? What about those who live in Plymouth/surrounding areas that can still live with their parents? You have been misinformed more likely. As far as I know, is that after the only first year students have the ability to stay at the halls.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I believe Oxford enforce this, but no where else (maybe Cambridge? don't know)

ReputationRep:
    No you don't have to turn up if you don't want. Someone from my firm offers checked my personal statement when they shouldn't have. I have a large chance of not going to it I feel I get enough you see..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    I believe Oxford enforce this, but no where else (maybe Cambridge? don't know)
    Hmm, now that you mentioned the 'prestigious' universities, it makes sense now. But again, modern universities such as Plymouth wouldn't enforce such thing as this.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the info! I was just making sure it wasn't enforced otherwise thats going to be a surpise in freshers week haha

ReputationRep:
    Hey! No they don't enforce this but they'd o make sure every 1st year gets a position in halls if they apply before 1st July. I know lots of first years who are going into houses

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.