Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black privilege Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Black privilege doesn't exist. It doesn't matter what kind of weird analogy you want to use.
    If Black privilige doesn't exist then how does white privilige exist? The same things occur only in different settings with the roles reversed. In our society whites dominate and so there is an assumed bias towards whites, in another society blacks dominate and so there is an assumed bias towards whites. This can be shown through the judicial system or whether certain groups are discriminated against. I give you again Zimbabwe and the seizure of farmland. Is that not an example of black privilige.

Is it not a privilige to have specific programmes focused solely for you only because of your race such as the BAME programmes in this country which i can't apply for because i was born a certain colour? Can that not be argued a privilige for blacks and other minorities of which i cannot access due to something i cannot change?

If white privilige exists then logic suggest black privilige must exist somewhere else. Besides you haven't even said why it doesn't exist anywhere in the world afterall the thread wasn't UK specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    You're embarrassing the rest of us, stop it. Racism is racism, we aren't exempt just because we're black.

If I'm honest, we're already living with a besmirched rep, our "agendas" (hate that word but whatever) are very often misconstrued and dismissed, and our sources of income are attacked, it's just that it's such an everyday thing that it's never just because of us voicing our opinions. I'd MUCH rather be able to walk down the street without worrying about whether the passing officer is going to stop me because I look "suspicious" than being able to scream the n-word in the club when a rap song is playing, but that's just me 🤷🏾*♂️
    Looking "suspicious" isn't contingent on race. A group of white youths loitering in urban areas in EA7/Stone Island tracksuits are going to look suspicious whereas a convocation of black choir singers aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie2143)
    Racism is about thinking your race is superior, a minority

Look, racism is about thinking your race is superior. An ethnic minority that has been put through hell to be accepted are not superior (im not talking about quality, I mean status) . White people have had a higher status for generations, and many white people still class their race as superior.
    So they are not superior just because you say they aren't? There are Black people and members of other ethnic groups out there who believe they are superior to other races who blurt out horrible sentiments such as the statements from the co-founder of Black Lives Matter, cited previously.

I am mixed race by the way and guess would be classed as an "ethnic minority". I've experienced first hand racism from people of colour toward other ethnic groups.

It is an absolute travesty if we deny the existence of racism coming from all directions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan Scott)
    I think people refrain from calling it 'racism' because it is so uncommon and usually things like this are done as retaliation rather than because they hate white people because of their skin colour.

Similar acts of violence have been done to black people (recently as well) and there was no outrage then - one of the reasons why there is no such thing as 'black privilege' because they are rarely ever seen as the victim

I think by definition you may be able to say racism affects white people but in actuality it seems to be non existent for the most part.
    So uncommon? You mean like stage 6 on genocide in South Africa uncommon?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Cubone-r;72936554]So they are not superior just because you say they aren't? There are Black people and members of other ethnic groups out there who believe they are superior to other races who blurt out horrible sentiments such as the statements from the co-founder of Black Lives Matter, cited previously.

I am mixed race by the way and guess would be classed as an "ethnic minority". I've experienced first hand racism from people of colour toward other ethnic groups.

It is an absolute travesty if we deny the existence of racism coming
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    So they are not superior just because you say they aren't? There are Black people and members of other ethnic groups out there who believe they are superior to other races who blurt out horrible sentiments such as the statements from the co-founder of Black Lives Matter, cited previously.

It is an absolute travesty if we deny the existence of racism coming from all directions.
    You know what I get your argument honestly, but I still understand mine too. But you think what you think and I'll stick to my opinion. Otherwise we would be here all night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Neither does White privilege. Go tell that White homeless guy on the street how much better off he is than you because he is White.
    Historically, white people were told that even though they were poor and in poverty, at least they weren't n*ggers.

"Today, those who fall below the poverty line – and even those who fall under the classification of working class whites – have an advantage (privilege) over black folks. White folks don’t have to think about race or racism if they don’t want to. Poor white people, when comparing themselves to wealthy people of color, may feel like they have no privileges whatsoever. However, they would be mistaken. Freedom of choice and freedom of thought are enormous privileges that are so intrinsic to simply being a human being that their possession, their presence, may go overlooked. The privilege of pondering the ramifications of race and racism, when it’s convenient, is vastly different from the experience of walking around in the shoes of someone who can’t, for a second, forget about their skin color when it becomes inconvenient. This seems like a small privilege to those who are white. That’s the privilege of it. We get to blow it off and ignore the stark truth that people of color face.

LeBron James will always be black. He may be a very wealthy man who is known worldwide but at the end of the day he’s a black man that faces the underlying and sometimes blatant racism this country still pumps through its veins. He faces a status quo that has a white lens."

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-...privilege-wcz/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    Looking "suspicious" isn't contingent on race. A group of white youths loitering in urban areas in EA7/Stone Island tracksuits are going to look suspicious whereas a convocation of black choir singers aren't.
    Race is a massive factor, that's literally coming from personal experience. I've been stopped while dressed normally while other people walking the same road dressed the same but white haven't. Of course not only black people can be dangerous but it's the automatic assumption that all things being equal we're more dangerous that's just a fact of life. It's great that you don't judge people based on their race but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people (and I'll definitely admit it goes all ways between all races) do make assumptions on how safe they feel around others based on skin color.

Spoiler:
    Show

I actually can't stop laughing at the EA7/Stone Island tracksuits line. Literally the best thing I've read all day 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    I think black privilege can exist.

In south africa obviously there was a period of apartheid whereby white people enjoyed benefits at the expense of black people or there was white privilege in other words, whereas nowadays there are reports coming out of black south africans enjoying easier access to work etc and other benefits at the expense of white south africans.

if this is true, I'd describe that as black privilege.

I myself am black just as a disclaimer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Race is a massive factor, that's literally coming from personal experience. I've been stopped while dressed normally while other people walking the same road dressed the same but white haven't. Of course not only black people can be dangerous but it's the automatic assumption that all things being equal we're more dangerous that's just a fact of life. It's great that you don't judge people based on their race but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people (and I'll definitely admit it goes all ways between all races) do make assumptions on how safe they feel around others based on skin color.

Spoiler:
    Show

I actually can't stop laughing at the EA7/Stone Island tracksuits line. Literally the best thing I've read all day 😂😂

Yeah you're right about unconscious bias that everyone has which is likely rooted in humans' tribalistic disposition. While human society has changed drastically since the neolithic revolution the human brain is still the same as a hunter-gatherer, which could explain the lack of trust that x race could exhibit towards y race because they are subconsciously perceived as being "outide the tribe". Which would reflect how ridiculous the idea that racism is something exclusive to white people is.

Saying that though as a had friends from different backgrounds yet I literally never even acknowledged it is only as I get older and mostly because of political events which often induce race baiting narratives a substitute for strong arguments do I become more impelled to be race-conscious than erstwhile when I was a youth.

Spoiler:
    Show
    seriously? Idk who the hell wakes up in the morning and thinks today I'm gonna look as trashy as possible?

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day if one person gets treated better than the other this can be classified as "privilege".
    I think there's privileges for all races. It just depends on which country you are in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    White people don't really have privilege in general. What privilege does an average person on a council estate have?
    Oh, Christ, not this hoary chestnut again; please at least attempt to grasp the basic precept that privilege is a relative condition, rather than derived exclusively from some absolute idealised prosperity. Yes, a middle-class black student at Oxford University is in net terms fundamentally 'better off' than a rudderless tenement-dweller of any given race, but will nonetheless find themselves relatively disadvantaged by the still overwhelmingly 'white' paradigm of British social, cultural, professional and political institutions in ways that a white person of like circumstance need never contemplate: hence the largely Indo-European, but still empirically real phenomenon of 'white privilege'.

Conversely, virtually anyone—black, white or other—conferred British citizenship and domiciliary status at birth must be considered the beneficiary of immense privilege by dint of that fact alone, however incurably ****ing miserable, maligned or misbegotten they subsequently turn out to be.

Heritable wealth is a privilege; that doesn't mean you can't still piss it up the wall. I, on the other hand, inherited being both white and RP, and for all my original poverty that's at least made re-joining the middle-classes pretty goddamned easy (though only relatively easy, mind).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Oh, Christ, not this hoary chestnut again; please at least attempt to grasp the basic precept that privilege is a relative condition, rather than derived exclusively from some absolute idealised prosperity. Yes, a middle-class black student at Oxford University is in net terms fundamentally 'better off' than a rudderless tenement-dweller of any given race, but will nonetheless find themselves relatively disadvantaged by the still overwhelmingly 'white' paradigm of British social, cultural, professional and political institutions in ways that a white person of like circumstance need never contemplate: hence the largely Indo-European, but still empirically real phenomenon of 'white privilege'.

Conversely, virtually anyone—black, white or other—conferred British citizenship and domiciliary status at birth must be considered the beneficiary of immense privilege by dint of that fact alone, however incurably ****ing miserable, maligned or misbegotten they subsequently turn out to be.

Heritable wealth is a privilege; that doesn't mean you can't still piss it up the wall. I, on the other hand, inherited being both white and RP, and for all my original poverty that's at least made re-joining the middle-classes pretty goddamned easy.
    What makes you think a middle-class black person is more disadvantaged than a middle-class white person?

Why not change the metric and consider underclass black person to underclass white person? Who is more disadvantaged? EHRC definitively says that white poor people have the worst start in life, in terms of educational achievement and progression. This might seem like statistical gibber-jabber, but there are many progressing enhancing schemes for which young poor black people are entitled to participate in, whereas young poor white people are not invited. Indeed, there are many schemes where middle-class black people are entitled to participate and poor white people are not. This all stems from an attitude that poor white people is an historic and settled issue, whereas the plight of blacks is something which must be challenged and is relatively achievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Black privilege doesn't exist. It doesn't matter what kind of weird analogy you want to use.
    Sure it does: unlimited discretionary use of the n-word. Although, granted, that's really more of a consolation-prize.

ReputationRep:
    White privilege also does not exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    What makes you think a middle-class black person is more disadvantaged than a middle-class white person?
    It's pretty much the organic by-product of a historic white hegemony among the executive orders, exemplified (albeit sensationally) by this sort of nonsense, which those who match the phenotype of said unreconstructed 'legacy' bureaucratic elite simply don't have to deal with.

Why not change the metric and consider underclass black person to underclass white person? Who is more disadvantaged? EHRC definitively says that white poor people have the worst start in life, in terms of educational achievement and progression. This might seem like statistical gibber-jabber, but there are many progressing enhancing schemes for which young poor black people are entitled to participate in, whereas young poor white people are not invited. Indeed, there are many schemes where middle-class black people are entitled to participate and poor white people are not. This all stems from an attitude that poor white people is an historic and settled issue, whereas the plight of blacks is something which must be challenged and is relatively achievable.
    My answer was admittedly begging the question a tad with respect to certain, more contemporary rigours of the discourse: it was meant more as a rejoinder to (what I historically perceive as) an infamous platitude, beloved of sophists and couched overwhelmingly in illiteracy rather than any sincere effort to engage with 'white privilege' from an intersectional standpoint. I don't, in point of fact, disagree with your latter argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie2143)
    It's not possible for ethnic minorities to be racist to white people. But a black person can discriminate against a white person on the basis of colour, this is called colourism.
    Why unnecessarily complicate language and communication like that? There is already a word that covers it, and the word is racism. Racism is a universal prejudice that all races are capable of exhibiting towards all other races.

ReputationRep:
    White privilege exists. The argument of 'homeless white person' vs 'rich black person' is not what people are referring to when talking about the topic. Of course, in this situation the black person theoretically has more privilege than the white person (even though the black guy statistically speaking may be prone to racial profiling, police brutality etc). What people are really referring to is situations such as job interviews where there may be one black candidate and one white candidate who are equally as able to do the job, however the white candidate gets picked. A lot of research has been done on the subject and it has been found that subconcious biases by white interviewers may lead to the white person being picked over a candidate of colour. This may be due to the fact that they think the white candidate who 'looks' like them will be able to relate to them more and perform to their expectations etc. And before anyone says 'but can't the reverse happen if the interviewer was a POC?' Well yes, but how many POC are in such job positions compared to white people? In fact in many countries with predominantly POCs e.g. China, it has been found that whites are actually given priority over nationals of the country due to their view of white being 'superior' 'better' and 'more able'. This obviously goes with the universal view of white being at the 'top'. White is also the world-wide standard of beauty whether you like it or not. People are bleaching their skin to become whiter, chemically straightening their hair to seem whiter, marrying people of fair complexion solely for their offspring to become whiter (yes it does happen). If white privilege does not exist then why are people trying so hard to be white? The West is the most developed place in the world. Majority of white people reside in the west compared to POCs who are in the minority, therefore white people have privilege over POCs who mainly reside in LEDCs (Not saying that whites can't live in LEDCs etc but POCs are disproportionally affected). They are born into opportunity, whereas POCs must work twice as hard to emigrate to provide these opportunites for themselves and their offspring. Nobody is saying that white people should feel guilty about this, but people want them to understand the reasons why they have privilege in the first place, and I think this is something that many forget. Hence why ignorant comments such as 'omg why is there BET awards, imagine if there was a WET' piss people off. So tbh I don't understand why people find it hard to say that white privilege exists when the evidence is in front of us.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Oh and the ultimate reason as to why white privilege exists: I can NEVER find the correct shade of foundation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arima)
    i think "black privilege" is as far fetched as "reverse racism"
    Completely right, there is no such thing as "reverse racism" it is just called racism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)

White people don't really have privilege in general. What privilege does an average person on a council estate have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You need to understand what is meant by unearned privilege. Being poor and white may put you at a disadvantage yes, but that's not what privilege is about. Privilege doesn't mean that you are exempt from being poor or homeless. It means that you can live your life without worrying about your colour. "White privilege, for the most part, is invisible to those who have it"
    McIntosh's list of fifty privileges includes things like regularly being surrounded in everyday life and in media representations by people who look like you and having the ability to avoid those who don't, and not being institutionally discriminated on the basis of race.
    Privilege also includes things like not having to explain to your child the harsh realities of systematic racism so that they do not fall victim to it, being able to be intelligent and well spoken without people being surprised, not having to live your life with the statistic of failing looming over your head, and nobody questioning if you were awarded that place (be it in a respected job or a university) based on your actual suitability and not because a quota has to be filled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    You need to understand what is meant by unearned privilege. Being poor and white may put you at a disadvantage yes, but that's not what privilege is about. Privilege doesn't mean that you are exempt from being poor or homeless. It means that you can live your life without worrying about your colour. "White privilege, for the most part, is invisible to those who have it"
    McIntosh's list of fifty privileges includes things like regularly being surrounded in everyday life and in media representations by people who look like you and having the ability to avoid those who don't, and not being institutionally discriminated on the basis of race.
    Privilege also includes things like not having to explain to your child the harsh realities of systematic racism so that they do not fall victim to it, being able to be intelligent and well spoken without people being surprised, not having to live your life with the statistic of failing looming over your head, and nobody questioning if you were awarded that place (be it in a respected job or a university) based on your actual suitability and not because a quota has to be filled
    The point I was making above with Profesh is that poor white people have the worst start in life according to EHRC. It comes from poor black people been given focussed progressional support which poor white people simply do not have.

So the thing about council estates is not simply that white people can be poor but that white people who are poor are at more of a disadvantage than black people, and it is because of the colour of the white person's skin that he is at such a disadvantage. That is black privilege.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.