Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Development/Economics at SOAS, Birmingham, Sussex or Essex??? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I have two questions essentially:

1. I have applied to the following programs and can't decide which one to choose:

- SOAS Graduate Diploma in Economics
    - Birmingham Graduate Diploma in International Development
    - Sussex MSc Sustainable Development
    - Essex MA Economics

I've heard back from all of them, except Birmingham, and have been accepted.

2. Since the teaching on the GDip and MSc International Development is the same, MSc entails a dissertation during the summer, does anyone know if it is possible to change from the GDip to MSc during the year if your grades are up to par?

If yes, then I'd love to go to Birmingham. But what is better, doing an MSc at Sussex or a GDip from SOAS followed by a Masters? I do love the idea of living in London :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silky91)

1. I have applied to the following programs and can't decide which one to choose:

- Essex MA Economics

2. Since the teaching on the GDip and MSc International Development is the same, MSc entails a dissertation during the summer, does anyone know if it is possible to change from the GDip to MSc during the year if your grades are up to par?

If yes, then I'd love to go to Birmingham. But what is better, doing an MSc at Sussex or a GDip from SOAS followed by a Masters? I do love the idea of living in London :/

SOAS is one of the best places to study development economics. Plus it's in London, which comes with its own benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Peace,

I agree with other poster's response, SOAS has a sterling world-wide reputation, if you are referring to their Development Economics course. SOAS was ranked #7 in the world(coming up from 11th in 2016), in latest development studies ranking which is remarkable for a uni of only approximately 5500 students.(which should also translate to small classroom size, and greater networking opportunities with your professors, who will be leading experts in the field, affiliated with NGO's, companies, etc.)

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...opment-studies

I don't think they will allows such a change, normally they want the work done on one degree to or certification to be for that degree only. But I would contact SOAS directly to ask, just in case. I hope this works out well for you and my best wishes to you.

(Original post by Silky91)

- Essex MA Economics

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.