The Student Room Group

Gonna cry. Would love to do medicine-but cant

Im so passionate to do medicine, ive got my heart set on it. I dont have the A grade for chemistry. I am predicted the following grades :
- Biology:A*
-English literature:A*
-Chemistry-B
Almost all of the Unis want an A grade in chem, i dont know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AKDbbb
Im so passionate to do medicine, ive got my heart set on it. I dont have the A grade for chemistry. I am predicted the following grades :
-Chemistry-B

If I were you I would take a gap year after you get your actual results. If AAA minimum then apply, if not can do graduate medicine or see below.

If you're that passionate you can study medicine in Eastern Europe. Plenty of English medical courses which are recognised by the GMC.
Reply 2
Original post by SGHD26716
If I were you I would take a gap year after you get your actual results. If AAA minimum then apply, if not can do graduate medicine or see below.

If you're that passionate you can study medicine in Eastern Europe. Plenty of English medical courses which are recognised by the GMC.

I would like to but my parents would not allow it
Reply 3
Original post by AKDbbb
I would like to but my parents would not allow it

What? A gap year?
Reply 4
What? A gap year?

Both ! Financial reasons.
Could i not eg apply for eg pharmacy and go into the first year and see how it is like and if i dont like it then apply for a gap year, so im kind of using that time to see if acc i like another course (which i doubt)
Reply 5
Is there no foundation route in.
Original post by AKDbbb
-Chemistry-B
Have you considered any of the options abroad? A lot of people go to study medicine in English abroad and then practice in their chosen country in the EU
Reply 7
Original post by AKDbbb
Both ! Financial reasons.
Could i not eg apply for eg pharmacy and go into the first year and see how it is like and if i dont like it then apply for a gap year, so im kind of using that time to see if acc i like another course (which i doubt)

How is a gap year hard on you financially exactly?

If I were in your position, I wouldn't apply this year. Instead I would 100% focus on my A levels. Try and get that AAA.

Then apply for medical schools. The gap year would allow you to get a job and make some money so university expenses will be less stressful.

I understand GEM is very expensive so wouldn't recommend this.

However, get that AAA first.

I don't see what problem your parents could have with that.
Reply 8
Look up medicine access/foundation courses
Reply 9
Original post by Petiana
Is there no foundation route in.

Usually if you live in a poor area or that sort of predicament.

Original post by Dawid Salomon
Have you considered any of the options abroad? A lot of people go to study medicine in English abroad and then practice in their chosen country in the EU

These are only his predicted grades, not actual. A gap year would be much easier certainly financially
You in year 13?
Usually if you live in a poor area or that sort of predicament.

These are only his predicted grades, not actual. A gap year would be much easier certainly financially

I don't get why the teachers in the UK give so low predicted grades to students instead of motivating them - as if it was deterministic, like a pre-determined path to failure. I know countless of examples of students far exceeding the predicted grades, including myself.
Reply 12
I don't get why the teachers in the UK give so low predicted grades to students instead of motivating them - as if it was deterministic, like a pre-determined path to failure. I know countless of examples of students far exceeding the predicted grades, including myself.

I don't know mate. Unfortunate really.
Reply 13
Original post by Coolerthanapples
You in year 13?

12 - but using our AS grades and what we have been achieving throighout the year for our predicted grades, for UCAS still havent applied
Reply 14

Besides from that Like i know so many ppl who have the grades but simply dont give a crap about the demands of the course and care about the stability of their future, no passion at all and i just dont understand 😭 Imagine them being ur doctor! only for the wealth and fame i guess , ridiculous
Original post by AKDbbb
Besides from that Like i know so many ppl who have the grades but simply dont give a crap about the demands of the course and care about the stability of their future, no passion at all and i just dont understand 😭 Imagine them being ur doctor! only for the wealth and fame i guess , ridiculous

I know, by the way, did you know that few decades back ago people could study medicine with like Bs and Cs?

I don't think being the absolute best in bio-chem makes the best GP doctor. Yes, one should definitely understand the fundamental concepts and be able to apply science into medical practice, but it does not mean a person with a B cannot do that, lol.
Original post by neuroapp
Look up medicine access/foundation courses

usually only applicable for those with the wrogn subjects , unless they are in an area of severe deprivation and meet the other criteria
Cardiff only checks to see if the right subjects have been taken, and Lancaster only requires AAB predictions. Both offers would be AAA though. If your second choice would be something related to medicine (eg. Biomed, biochem etc.) you could apply to the med schools open to you without much harming other applications. If you could get interviews (good GCSEs for Cardiff and good BMAT for Lancaster) you'd have a pretty substantial chance of getting offers.
That being said, if you don't think there's much chance of getting in with your current qualifications and predictions for BMAT and A-level, it may be better to just focus on a different course and save yourself the stress. Medicine is not the only good career choice.
Original post by AKDbbb
-Chemistry-B

Hey.

Someone I know retook her AS year and had below average GCSEs- yet she stil managed to got 2 offers for medicine. What I am trying to say is that If you are really passionate for medicine never give up on it as there's always a way to get in.

Just try to ace your exams and prove your chemistry teachers wrong for predicting you lower than what you're capable of.

Last year some places were available in clearing too. Have a look at this link- http://www.gponline.com/medical-school-offering-places-clearing-inundated-1825-calls/article/1406161.

You got this, I believe in you.:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AKDbbb
12 - but using our AS grades and what we have been achieving throighout the year for our predicted grades, for UCAS still havent applied

You have 2 others predicted A*. Beg your teacher to predict A, you're clearly capable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending