The Student Room Group

How do the new A-levels even work?!

I'm going to sixth form (hopefully) this year but I'm really unsure on something: my sixth form makes us drop one subject at AS but i thought that there aren't anymore AS exams? So does this mean that I will have to do AS exams anyway but they wont count towards my final grade?

More importantly, are those AS grades used by universities to decide whether or not I will get an offer??

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by m-k1
I'm going to sixth form (hopefully) this year but I'm really unsure on something: my sixth form makes us drop one subject at AS but i thought that there aren't anymore AS exams? So does this mean that I will have to do AS exams anyway but they wont count towards my final grade?

More importantly, are those AS grades used by universities to decide whether or not I will get an offer??

Don't think anyone knows...
They've eliminated the AS so now every course is completely linear, which means that even if you do an AS it won't contribute to your final A level and all your exams that count will be at the end of year 13.
If you sit an AS, just think of it as an overhyped mock exam. The courses are now linear, meaning you have to revisit your AS modules for your final exams at the end of A2.
Reply 3
Original post by Charliewiz
Don't think anyone knows...
They've eliminated the AS so now every course is completely linear, which means that even if you do an AS it won't contribute to your final A level and all your exams that count will be at the end of year 13.

Thank you :smile: im also wondering, would universities look at AS grades? Im yet to get my GCSE results but feel as though Ive done terribly so hope I can work hard during AS to compensate!
Reply 4
Original post by Piña colada
If you sit an AS, just think of it as an overhyped mock exam. The courses are now linear, meaning you have to revisit your AS modules for your final exams at the end of A2.

Thank you im also wondering, would universities look at AS grades? Im yet to get my GCSE results but feel as though Ive done terribly so hope I can work hard during AS to compensate!
I mean, a lot of colleges are advising students to do 3 AS levels and then carry them on to A2. If you do an AS level, then yes.
lol I feel like A Levels have now got to the point where it's not worth all the effort and everything where BTECs get you in the same course with less stress and irrelevant memory tests. If the course that you wanna do at uni accepts BTEC then there's not really any advantages to doing A Levels
Original post by m-k1
Thank you im also wondering, would universities look at AS grades? Im yet to get my GCSE results but feel as though Ive done terribly so hope I can work hard during AS to compensate!

yes universities will look at AS grades when you're applying to uni as you have to disclose every grade you've ever received.

the purpose of this is to essentially ensure that if your predicted grades for year 13 are inflated, the uni can tell.

so basically, if you got CCD for your AS results but you apply to a uni with predicted grades of AAA where the requirements are AAA, the uni will probably not give that candidate an offer because it's unlikely that they'll meet the conditions of the offer. Chances are those predicted grades have been inflated because the candidate put pressure on his/her teachers to give him/her higher predicted grades,

To cut a long story short, AS levels are important because they form the basis of your predicted grades and unis look at them to see if achieving their requirements is realistic for you, so don't think they're meaningless- they're not.
Original post by John10101
lol I feel like A Levels have now got to the point where it's not worth all the effort and everything where BTECs get you in the same course with less stress and irrelevant memory tests. If the course that you wanna do at uni accepts BTEC then there's not really any advantages to doing A Levels

Tru, but btec limits u to a number of courses and unis so top students won't do them and its not great for students who don't know what they wanna do at uni.
Reply 9

Except if you want to apply to jobs which require A levels or decide to switch fields in the future. A levels will always offer more advantages.
Original post by 06moca1
Except if you want to apply to jobs which require A levels or decide to switch fields in the future. A levels will always offer more advantages.

For every job in my field I've not once seen a requirement for A Levels and I have spoke to a person who has been in many jobs and has said A Levels have never been requested or required even tho he has them. I do agree with you on it allows you to switch fields but this rarely happens.
Original post by Khanman123
Tru, but btec limits u to a number of courses and unis so top students won't do them and its not great for students who don't know what they wanna do at uni.

More and more unis are accepting BTECs and the only courses it really limits is like pure subjects such as maths or science or courses such as medicine and dentistry. I agree with you that it is good for people who don't know what they want to do in the future but I'd rather take a gap year which I did to figure out what I wanna do and then do a BTEC in the subject to go to uni.
For every job in my field I've not once seen a requirement for A Levels and I have spoke to a person who has been in many jobs and has said A Levels have never been requested or required even tho he has them. I do agree with you on it allows you to switch fields but this rarely happens.

You never know what the future holds. If one decides to pursue law, medicine, or banking in the future then the BTEC will severely hinder them in the future.
Original post by 06moca1
You never know what the future holds. If one decides to pursue law, medicine, or banking in the future then the BTEC will severely hinder them in the future.

Yes these courses by my limited understanding seem like they need pure subjects such as maths or science which then a BTEC is not valid to those people but I said if they can pursue their uni course without the need of A Levels and that they accept BTEC then they should do a BTEC
Original post by 06moca1

And this is very rare I don't know how often people would change to a career path like this
More and more unis are accepting BTECs and the only courses it really limits is like pure subjects such as maths or science or courses such as medicine and dentistry. I agree with you that it is good for people who don't know what they want to do in the future but I'd rather take a gap year which I did to figure out what I wanna do and then do a BTEC in the subject to go to uni.

More and more universities but not the top universities.
Original post by 06moca1
More and more universities but not the top universities.

Which Unis are you thinking classed as "top"? Oxbridge no, but that's all I can think of tbh
Reply 17
Original post by m-k1

There are still AS exams for every subject, they just don't count towards your final grade if you carry those subjects on to year 13.

So what happens is that you'll do four sets of AS exams and receive four grades. Three of these will be disregarded once you start year 2 and one will be 'cashed in' as your final grade in that subject, provided you don't carry it on.

These AS exams are the best indicators of your academic ability, so unis will use this to decide whether or not to give you a place; of course, this will be used in tandem with your application.

But the point is that even though most or all your exams will, ultimately, count towards nothing, they are very important for uni applications, so try your hardest for them! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Which Unis are you thinking classed as "top"? Oxbridge no, but that's all I can think of tbh

Imperial LSE UCL

Quick Reply

Latest