The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mnak
e.g, i failed my GCSE english and on my ucas track it doesnt say i have to achieve a grade C in it. to me this is strange because i know its vital

Yes. Any conditions attached to your offer (including GCSEs) would be listed on track. If the university knows that you failed your English GCSE but have given you an offer anyway then they've chosen to make an exception (or possibly just overlooked it).
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Yes. Any conditions attached to your offer (including GCSEs) would be listed on track. If the university knows that you failed your English GCSE but have given you an offer anyway then they've chosen to make an exception (or possibly just overlooked it).

im sorry but this feels impossible. Can you give me an example of this happening to someone before
Reply 3
Original post by mnak
im sorry but this feels impossible. Can you give me an example of this happening to someone before

Yes.

My offer is AAA and I've taken 4 subjects. Biology, chemistry, maths, and further maths.

It's specifically says on track I need A grades in bio and chemistry and an A in one of maths or further maths.
Original post by mnak

Are you re-doing your English GCSE?
Reply 5
Original post by SGHD26716
Yes.

My offer is AAA and I've taken 4 subjects. Biology, chemistry, maths, and further maths.

It's specifically says on track I need A grades in bio and chemistry and an A in one of maths or further maths.

so the subject they didnt be specific on what did you get.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Are you re-doing your English GCSE?

im currently waiting for my results.
Original post by mnak
im currently waiting for my results.

And does the university you applied to know that you re-took your GCSE?
Reply 8
Original post by mnak
so the subject they didnt be specific on what did you get.

They said you need AAA. This must be from Biology, Chemistry, and one of Maths or Further Maths
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
And does the university you applied to know that you re-took your GCSE?

yes they know. its just weird they never put it on track. i thought getting a c in gcse english and math was a must have to get into university
Reply 10
Original post by SGHD26716
They said you need AAA. This must be from Biology, Chemistry, and one of Maths or Further Maths

so you know anyone who didnt get a C in gcse english or math and got into uni, or anybody in my situation
Original post by mnak
yes they know. its just weird they never put it on track. i thought getting a c in gcse english and math was a must have to get into university

It is. Perhaps it was an oversight, or maybe they just assumed you would pass. Does it matter? You need GCSEs in English and Maths for most jobs as well (even if you have a degree), so it was still worth re-taking the exam.
Reply 12
Original post by mnak
so you know anyone who didnt get a C in gcse english or math and got into uni, or anybody in my situation

I don't know anyone.
Reply 13
this is the full exact word to word offer they gave me.

This offer is subject to you obtaining A minimum of 120 UCAS Tariff points including the BTEC Diploma and which must include GCE A level Mathematics. Remaining points can be made up from any level 3 qualification in the UCAS Tariff. We wish you every success in your examinations.
That is the examt thing they said
Reply 14
Original post by Snufkin
It is. Perhaps it was an oversight, or maybe they just assumed you would pass. Does it matter? You need GCSEs in English and Maths for most jobs as well (even if you have a degree), so it was still worth re-taking the exam.

yes i know you are right and if some miracle i get into uni and still havent achieve a C grade in english i will resit durinf a free time.
But i really want to go to uni next year and i cannot stand another year in sixthform/college. And im doing everything to get in. But this is just strange that they havnt mentioned it, like this was the first time i did the new GCSE english and i basically had 6-7 month to revise for it and the fact they would assume that i would pass given i failed the legacy english and have less time to revise for the exam is to me crazy.
Original post by mnak
yes i know you are right and if some miracle i get into uni and still havent achieve a C grade in english i will resit durinf a free time.
But i really want to go to uni next year and i cannot stand another year in sixthform/college. And im doing everything to get in. But this is just strange that they havnt mentioned it, like this was the first time i did the new GCSE english and i basically had 6-7 month to revise for it and the fact they would assume that i would pass given i failed the legacy english and have less time to revise for the exam is to me crazy.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, stop complaining - this is a good thing. It means that even if you fail your GCSE, you've got in (assuming you meet the other entry requirements, of course). Who cares why it happened, it does not matter.
did you receive a scholarship ??
Reply 17
Original post by mnak

I got offers from Bristol and KCL without achieving a C in GCSE English
Reply 18
Original post by Snufkin
I mean this in the nicest possible way, stop complaining - this is a good thing. It means that even if you fail your GCSE, you've got in (assuming you meet the other entry requirements, of course). Who cares why it happened, it does not matter.

yeah i know i shouldnt but what if in the last minute they say i need a C in english im just worried something like that would happen
Reply 19
Original post by mikaelkheil
did you receive a scholarship ??

no i did not

Latest