The Student Room Group

PhD fees and stipend (Wellcome Trust)

Hi, everyone! I'm in the very fortunate position of having been offered a funded PhD place on a project that's funded by the Wellcome Trust. My university, and not the WT are administering the financial side of it. I receive fees, a stipend and discretionary expenses at the Wellcome rate.

My question is - are fees taken out of the stipend, or are they in addition to it? (my contact at the University is on holiday!)
Original post by camaieu
Hi, everyone! I'm in the very fortunate position of having been offered a funded PhD place on a project that's funded by the Wellcome Trust. My university, and not the WT are administering the financial side of it. I receive fees, a stipend and discretionary expenses at the Wellcome rate.

My question is - are fees taken out of the stipend, or are they in addition to it? (my contact at the University is on holiday!)

The fees will almost certainly be covered in addition to the stipend. Stipend is for living costs and AFAIK it's unheard of for fees to be deducted from it (especially since, in many cases, they'd eat up the whole thing).

I've looked at their website and it doesn't say anything to the contrary. I understand you'll want to check, but honestly don't worry - the fees will be covered separately.

Well done!
Original post by worldender
The fees will almost certainly be covered in addition to the stipend. Stipend is for living costs and AFAIK it's unheard of for fees to be deducted from it (especially since, in many cases, they'd eat up the whole thing).

I've looked at their website and it doesn't say anything to the contrary. I understand you'll want to check, but honestly don't worry - the fees will be covered separately.

Well done!

I have heard of this situation happening to a few people, but they get paid more to compensate for that. Their funding source is unusual, as (I think) it comes from their supervisor's very extensive research budget. I agree it's highly uncommon.
Original post by Manitude
I have heard of this situation happening to a few people, but they get paid more to compensate for that. Their funding source is unusual, as (I think) it comes from their supervisor's very extensive research budget. I agree it's highly uncommon.

Ah I see - as I understand that's the model common in the US?
Original post by worldender
Ah I see - as I understand that's the model common in the US?

I've no idea about America, sorry. The people I know who are experience this are all based in Liverpool.
Reply 5
Thanks, both! I asked because the Wellcome Trust is so generous (£22278 p/a) that I wasn't sure!
Original post by camaieu
Thanks, both! I asked because the Wellcome Trust is so generous (£22278 p/a) that I wasn't sure!

Original post by Schadenfreude65

Wow indeed. That's a huge wad of stipend money! That's like a £28k salary after tax. Good on you!
Almost universally, funded PhDs consist of a fully funded set of tuition fees, PLUS a stipend. You are not expected to pay the tuition fees from the stipend normally. This is to account for the fact that it is essentially a full time job, and that they wish to attract high achieving graduates who are likely otherwise to consider grad schemes with comparable or better pay rates. London PhDs usually have higher stipends to account for the increased cost of living there as well. Several charity funded ones (such as Wellcome Trust, BHF, CRUK etc) have slightly better than average stipends - as do industry sponsored DTCs and EngDs usually.

Do note, a PhD is not like "another" degree - you don't get the summer holidays off :tongue: Beyond that warning, congratulations and good luck :smile:
Reply 9
I've also got a wellcome trust studentship offer reccetly, does anyone know when the first payment of the stipend is paid? And how regular the payments see (like monthly or termly) ?
Hi Jake, Congrats on your scholarship. Can you tell me when does the Wellcome trust provide their outcome? My wife has applied for this round. They have responded recently and asked for the cost assessment, does that mean that the results are out or they still haven't sent it for review. Best Wishes,N
Original post by nabin977
Hi Jake, Congrats on your scholarship. Can you tell me when does the Wellcome trust provide their outcome? My wife has applied for this round. They have responded recently and asked for the cost assessment, does that mean that the results are out or they still haven't sent it for review. Best Wishes,N

Did you hear anything? Like did you get an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest